Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - February 11th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 02:58:52 -0600 (CST)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  February 11th, 2002                          Volume 3, Number 6n   |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Running Your
Firewall in runlevel 0," "Using ssh Port Forwarding to Print at Remote
Locations," "Inside the Linux Packet Filter," and "Rethinking Public Key
Infrastructures and Digital Certificates and Privacy."

FEATURE: Using Chroot Securely - The chroot() function can be a powerful
mechanism to secure your system, but only if used correctly.  Anton
provides a good foundation for implementing it in your programs and
services running on your system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-99.html

This week, advisories were released for pine, rsync, FreeBSD kernel, wmtv,
and telnet.  The vendors include Conectiva, Debian, FreeBSD, and Red Hat.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-4411.html

Find technical and managerial positions available worldwide.  Visit the
LinuxSecurity.com Career Center: http://careers.linuxsecurity.com

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Five years ago: McAfee finds first known Linux virus
February 8th, 2002

Called Bliss, the virus is important because it is the first to attack
Linux, a freeware variant of Unix that is often used in Web site
administration. UNIX flavours have always been considered difficult to
infect because administration rights are required to create the virus;
McAfee believes that multi-user games played in administrator mode may
have caused the problem.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-4415.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Running Your Firewall in runlevel 0
February 10th, 2002

Mike Murray describes how he patched the 2.2 Linux kernel to run an
ipchains packet filtering firewall when the machine is halted. "As systems
administrators, it's often funny how new and interesting information ends
up in our hands.  Sometimes, it's through an intentional course of study;
other times, it seems to arrive by accident.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-4418.html

* Using ssh Port Forwarding to Print at Remote Locations
February 8th, 2002

Rory shows you how to connect the printing systems on different networks
across the Internet in a secure manner.  Whether you telecommute or not,
you probably use some form of electronic connectivity to the office when
you are not there. Can you check your work e-mail at home?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-4413.html

* Inside the Linux Packet Filter
February 7th, 2002

In Part I of this two-part series on the Linux Packet Filter, Gianluca
describes a packet's journey through the kernel.  Network geeks among you
may remember my article, ``Linux Socket Filter: Sniffing Bytes over the
Network'', in the June 2001 issue of LJ, regarding the use of the packet
filter built inside the Linux kernel.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-4410.html

* Using Active FTP Clients Through an OpenBSD 3.0 Firewall
February 5th, 2002

With release 3.0 the OpenBSD project replaced Darren Reed's ipf software
with the more license friendly pf filtering software. While pf and ipf are
very similar in overall design, there are many subtle differences bewteen
the two. This paper will focus on one particular difference between the
two, how to allow outbound active FTP access from clients protected by an
OpenBSD 3.0 firewall.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-4391.html

+------------------------+
|   Cryptography News:   |
+------------------------+

* First New Advanced Encryption Standard In 25 Years Approved
February 10th, 2002

Secretary of Commerce, Don Evans, announced the National Institute of
Standards and Technology?s (NIST; www.nist.gov), approval of a new
information technology encryption standard for the federal government.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4417.html

* Encryption Leaves DES Behind
February 7th, 2002

A nice summary of all the issues pertaining to AES and how it has replaced
DES as the encryption standard. "Nothing moves fast in the world of
encryption, which may help explain why the U.S. is only now about to leave
56-bit DES behind for new encryption schemes.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4409.html

* The encrypted jihad
February 5th, 2002

Ironically, winning possession of computer equipment on the battlefield
may be the easy part; terrorists today have the capacity to protect data
with encryption schemes that not even America's high-tech big guns can
crack. The number of possible keys in the new 256-bit Advanced Encryption
Standard (AES), for example, is 1 followed by 77 zeros -- a figure
comparable to the total number of atoms in the universe.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4392.html

* Rethinking Public Key Infrastructures and Digital Certificates and
Privacy
February 4th, 2002

This is a background book for technical staff and some managers involved
in e-commerce or its implementations. Its focus is clearly described by
its title and does not wander from that topic. Much of the content is
academic and very mathematical.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-4384.html

+------------------------+
|  Vendors/Products:     |
+------------------------+

* Linux security auditing to get a boost
February 6th, 2002

Funded by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, the same
organization to initially bankroll the predecessor to the Internet, the
Sardonix Audit Portal aims to be the one-stop portal for organizing the
efforts of critical code reviewers everywhere and boost the frequency with
which programmers critique the code of others.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-4397.html

* Hardened OSes Boost E-commerce Security
February 6th, 2002

Enter the resurrection of the TOS (trusted operating system), a relic from
the early '80s developed for military and government security. Considered
by many to be too expensive and complicated to implement and maintain,
TOSes failed to catch on when introduced to the commercial sector and
instead were pigeonholed into the financial industry.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-4401.html

+------------------------+
|  General News:         |
+------------------------+

* Securing Your Enterprise Email with Digital IDs
February 8th, 2002

Do people in your company send confidential information to business
partners or remote employees via Internet email? Are they using some form
of digital ID system to secure their communications? If they're not, any
sensitive information contained in those messages is at risk as the email
travels across the Internet.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4416.html

* Cybersecurity a Top Priority
February 8th, 2002

The unusual announcements from three of the technology industry's most
powerful men came just weeks apart.  Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates
declared that making his company's software less vulnerable to security
breaches would take precedence over adding new features.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-4412.html

* Site to pool scrutiny of Linux security
February 7th, 2002

A government-funded initiative announced Tuesday aims to boost code review
of open-source software to prevent security holes.  Funded by the Defense
Advanced Research Project Agency, the same organization to initially
bankroll the predecessor to the Internet, the Sardonix Audit Portal aims
to be the one-stop portal for organizing the efforts of critical code
reviewers everywhere and boost the frequency with which programmers
critique the code of others.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-4405.html

* Analysts: Security's where the money is
February 7th, 2002

Two segments of the computer-security industry should shake off the
general tech-market malaise and score double-digit growth this year, a
pair of market researchers said Monday. Gartner analyst firm Dataquest
forecast that the worldwide security-software market will grow to $4.3
billion this year, up 18 percent from $3.6 billion in 2001.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-4408.html

* Outside Hackers vs. the Enemy Within: Who's Worse?
February 5th, 2002

The 2001 Computer Crime and Security Survey from the Federal Bureau of
Investigation and the Computer Security Institute makes it clear that
cybercrime is on the rise. But for the first time, according to survey
respondents, incidents precipitated by outside hackers outnumbered those
originated by internal threats.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-4396.html