Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: [infowarrior] - Comments on Recent Security Legislation Proposals

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 02:34:00 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
CC: rforno () infowarrior org,

rf,

I read your column back in Dec, and I found your follow-on comments
equally interesting...

Our elected leaders sound like a bunch of uninformed cable news
analysts with their constant use of 'cyber' buzzwords

Where do you think our elected 'leaders' are getting
the buzzwords...from the uninformed media, silly!

'Cybersecurity' is a meaningless term that tells me that nine times
out of ten, the person saying it has little or no understanding of
information assurance practices.

Your point being?  It's intuitively obvious to the most casual
observer that our 'leaders' really have no idea regarding security
practices.

Note both of these proposed Acts throw large money for research and
long-term analysis of security-related problems. It seems to me
there's more money being spent analyzing our problems than actually
addressing them, even though we already KNOW what (and where) the
problems are!

Exactly!  We know what the problems are, and we know that the words of
various people and groups bent on correcting the problem have fallen
on deaf and impotent ears.

Standing up yet another group of academics and 'leaders' to take a
look at long-term solutions to security problems...solutions we
already have in hand...is going to be as ineffective as the Senate
hearings we've already endured.  Or as lips on chickens.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.