Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: China pursues arsenal of technology

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 05:33:44 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>

[For a little more insight, check out Unrestricted Warfare, and if you
plan to print it out, have a spare printer cartridge ready since its
in excess off 230 pages. http://www.c4i.org/unrestricted.pdf  - WK]

In some email I received from InfoSec News, sie wrote:
[...]
Among the key weapons are:

* Laser guns that can be used to blind soldiers and pilots and
  knock out U.S. space-based intelligence and communications networks.

I'm *really* concerned about this as I thought there was some UN
treaty where various countries had already agreed not to develop such
weapons as lasers with the explicit purpose of blinding people ?

One is given to wonder, however, if that will have any impact on
"future" pilots, where the person behind the plane is in a bunker and
not in the plane.

* Radio-frequency weapons that will electronically cripple command
  and control electronic systems and make it impossible for militaries
  hit by the bombs or missile warheads to conduct integrated warfare
  operations.

I've seen it written that America believes these sorts of weapons to
be "weapons of mass destruction" and they would retaliate in kind if
attacked so - ie. with nuclear force.

More than likely, the end result of such weapons would be to wipe out
consumer electronics but defense equipment designed and placed under
different protection mechanisms would be less effected.

Is this the beginning of a new "cold war" ?

Darren

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.