Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - August 12th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 04:26:47 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  August 12th, 2002                            Volume 3, Number 31n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Advanced Log
Processing," "Securing WLAN Links," "Wireless Security: An IP VPN
Conspiracy Theory," and "Simplicity Is Key To Keeping Code Secure."

This week, advisories were released for openssl, bind/glibc, libpng,
openafs, kerberos 5, wwwofle, tinyproxy, dietlibc, kqueue, ffs, kfs,
sendmail, secureweb, and gaim. The vendors include Caldera, Conectiva,
Debian, EnGarde, FreeBSD, Mandrake, and Red Hat.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5491.html

----> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <----
Are you worried about your web server security? Click here to get a FREE
Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
security needs.

  => http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte1

Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
an e-mail to security-discuss-request () linuxsecurity com with "subscribe"
as the subject.

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Installing OpenBSD 3.1
August 9th, 2002

OpenBSD has always been on my "must toy with" list, so the recent release
of version 3.1 made it seem like a good time to check it out. The OpenBSD
Web site shows that OpenBSD includes all of the usual BSD goodies; heaps
of programs, an extensive ports tree, good documentation, and so on. Their
security claims are intriguing, and some of the features (such as authpf)
seem quite interesting. But marketing claims made on a Web site can be
quite distant from reality, so I decided to install the OS on both a
desktop and a laptop and see what I could do.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5493.html

* Advanced Log Processing
August 5th, 2002

One of Murphy's laws advises to "only look for those problems that you
know how to solve." In security, this means to only monitor for those
attacks that you plan to respond to. It is well known that any intrusion
detection system is only as good as the analyst watching its output.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5458.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Addressing Teleworker Network Security Risks
August 10th, 2002

RFG believes teleworkers accessing corporate resources via virtual private
network (VPN) connections can potentially pose security risks beyond those
presented by employees working on-site.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5496.html

* OECD publishes cyber-security guidelines
August 8th, 2002

principles on security of information systems and networks, the 30-member
inter-governmental Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
(OECD) has made public its latest guidelines.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5486.html

* FreeS/WAN: The KEY debate
August 7th, 2002

This week's lists.freeswan.org Email Summary reports that Michael
Richardson debated the new DNS Key-Restrict draft with folks from the list
namedroppers () ops ietf org. If that draft is widely implemented, FreeS/WAN
will need to use a different DNS record type to distribute public keys.
Interesting stuff.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5484.html

* One, Two, Three Factor Security?
August 7th, 2002

People who access their work systems are the equivalent of people holding
the keys to the company premises, this incurs responsibility. If that is
widely known and respected, half the security battle will have been won.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5478.html

* Securing WLAN Links: Part 2
August 6th, 2002

The 802.11 specification has some clear authentication discrepancies that
create security headaches for WLAN design engineers. In Part 2 of this
series, we'll examine the 802.11 authentication mechanisms and the
security problems they provide.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5468.html

* Securing WLAN Links: Part 3
August 6th, 2002

There's no escaping that WEP is a problem for WLAN designers. In the final
part of this series, we'll layout some technology solutions that can help
designers enhance security in WLAN systems. Depending on which side of the
wireless LAN (WLAN) fence you are on, you may like or dislike the wireless
equivalent privacy (WEP) protocol.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5469.html

* Wireless Security: An IP VPN Conspiracy Theory
August 5th, 2002

More than a decade ago, cell phone users faced a serious security problem:
Everything they said was broadcast over the public airwaves, available for
all to hear. Take a simple radio receiver, tune it to the correct
frequency at the right time and place, and you could pick up the details
of Newt Gingrich's plotting or Princess Di's sex life.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5463.html

+------------------------+
|  Cryptography:         |
+------------------------+

* Crypto scientists crack prime problem
August 9th, 2002

Computer scientists in India have cracked an age-old mathematical problem
by designing a method for computers to quickly prove whether a figure is a
prime number--a vital step in cryptography.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5494.html

* 'Creative Attacks' Beat Crypto -- Expert
August 9th, 2002

In 1998 cryptographer Paul Kocher developed a method for deducing the
secret key embedded in a cryptographic smart card by monitoring tiny
fluctuations in power consumption. Three years earlier, at the tender age
of 22, he made headlines with a technique to compromise implementations of
the RSA algorithm.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5495.html

* Scalable Encryption Solutions For Today's Environment
August 6th, 2002

The scope and character of today's computing environment is changing
dramatically. There are more systems in more locations and these are often
spread across the world. Many, if not most, IT organizations today, are
running lights-out data center operations.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5471.html

* E-Mail Encryption: Isn't Everyone Doing It?
August 5th, 2002

Any illusion that your corner of the Internet is a private place where
your data is secure and your e-mail is read only by the people to whom you
send it can be shattered by a single click on the Privacy.Net Web site.
Within seconds, you will see your IP address, your computer host name and
the link from which you arrived at the site.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5459.html

+------------------------+
|  Vendors/Products:     |
+------------------------+

* Researcher: Biometrics Unproven, Hard To Test
August 8th, 2002

James Bond technologies like face recognition, fingerprint sensors, hand
geometry, and other biometric security systems may be impossible to
accurately evaluate, unless researchers also measure the performance of
the testers and the demographics of the subjects, a key researcher said
Wednesday.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5487.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* USENIX - Expert: Simplicity Is Key To Keeping Code Secure
August 9th, 2002

When it comes to writing secure code, less is more. That was the advice
passed down Thursday by security expert Paul Kocher, president of
Cryptography Research, who told the Usenix Security Symposium here that
more powerful computer systems and increasingly complex code will be a
growing cause of insecure networks.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5492.html

* Data security needs staff effort
August 8th, 2002

Companies that have spent millions of rand on network and data security
will be completely horrified to learn that 80% of their employees will
happily divulge not only their passwords but their log-on details to a
complete stranger.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5485.html

* Database Security Breaches On The Increase
August 7th, 2002

Direct security breaches against databases appear to be on the rise,
according to the recently released Summer 2002 Database Developers survey
from research firm Evans Data Corp.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5481.html

* Security pros develop flaw database
August 6th, 2002

The Internetworked Security Information Service (ISIS) brings together
four independent projects--the Open Source Vulnerability Database, the
Alldas.de defacement-tracking service, the PacketStorm software database
and the vulnerability watchdog VulnWatch--into a loosely organized
collaboration.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-5465.html