Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - August 26th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:58:45 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  August 26th, 2002                            Volume 3, Number 33n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Introduction to
Autorooters: Crackers Working Smarter, Not Harder," "Defining Virtual
Honeynets," "A New AES Standard For Wireless," and "Exploring
Diffie-Hellman Encryption."

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte Certification  **

Do your online customers demand the best available protection of their
personal information? Thawte's guide explains how to give this to your
customers by implementing SSL on your Apache Web Server.

  FREE Thawte Apache Guide:
  http://www.gothawte.com/rd361.html

FEATURE: PHP Secure Installation
As we know the vulnerabilities in PHP are increasing day by day there
comes the need to secure the PHP installation to the highest level. Due to
its popularity and its wide usage most of the developers and the
administrators will be in trouble if they don't take appropriate steps on
security issues during the installation.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-117.html

 * Developing with open standards?
 * Demanding High Performance?

This week, advisories were released for krb5, fam, konqueror, libpng,
phpmail, mantis, bugzilla, Red Hat kernel, kdelibs, and unixware.  The
vendors include Caldera, Debian, and Red Hat.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5563.html

Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
an e-mail to security-discuss-request () linuxsecurity com with "subscribe"
as the subject.

Find technical and managerial positions available worldwide.  Visit the
LinuxSecurity.com Career Center: http://careers.linuxsecurity.com

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Introduction to Autorooters: Crackers Working Smarter, Not Harder
August 22nd, 2002

Efficiency and automation: one can argue that they are two of the most
valuable by-products of any technology. There is little doubt that the
electronic tools of today allow us to get more done in less time. We use
software to eliminate tedious work, reduce man-hours, and sift through
mounds of data in seconds.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5557.html

* Wrapping Up DJBDNS
August 21st, 2002

Welcome to the home stretch, my last [2] ITworld article on installing
DJBDNS. I'll cover two things here. First, I'll show you how to 'import'
your existing BIND zones into tinydns data format so you don't need to
convert those files by hand. Lastly, I'll show you how to start up the
axfrdns server, which will allow DNS secondaries running BIND to mirror
your DNS zones.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5549.html

* Linux Security Modules: General Security Support for the Linux
Kernel
August 20th, 2002

The access control mechanisms of existing mainstream operating systems are
inadequate to provide strong system security. Enhanced access control
mechanisms have failed to win acceptance into mainstream operating systems
due in part to a lack of consensus within the security community on the
right solution.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5546.html

* Making [Privacy] Work
August 20th, 2002

The privacy policy is written and posted on a company's Web site. The 2002
privacy-policy notice, a complicated statement required of
financial-services companies under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, is in the
mail. Top executives and perhaps even the board of directors have reviewed
the policy to make sure it will protect the company's good name.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-5544.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Hacking Techniques: War Dialing
August 22nd, 2002

The term war dialing involves the exploitation of an organization's
telephone, dial, and private branch exchange (PBX) systems to penetrate
internal network and computing resources. After introducing and exploring
the different forms war dialing attacks can take and some tools used to
execute such attacks, the article examines measures that can be taken to
prevent such an attack.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5560.html

* Know Your Enemy: Defining Virtual Honeynets
August 20th, 2002

Honeynets are one type of honeypot. A honeypot is a resource who's value
is in being probed, attacked or compromised. A Honeynet is a
high-interaction honeypot, meaning it provides real operating systems for
attackers to interact with.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5548.html

+------------------------+
|  Cryptography:         |
+------------------------+

* A New AES Standard For Wireless
August 21st, 2002

Wireless has been on the mind of NIST officials for some time.
Understanding the inherent risk of unsecure wireless networks ripe for the
picking using such easy-to-install programs like NetStumbler, the agency
put out a call in July asking for recommendations to counter unauthorized
users hacking into a wireless network, to include airborne traffic.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5552.html

* August Crypto-Gram
August 19th, 2002

This month's Crypto-Gram contains information about Palladium and the
TCPA, The Doghouse: Cedium, Featured Counterpane Research, License to
Hack, Counterpane News, Arming Airline Pilots, and even some Comments from
Readers. Bruce Schneier's Crypto-Gram is a free monthly newsletter
providing summaries, analyses, insights, and commentaries on computer
security and cryptography.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5539.html

* PGP Is Back!
August 19th, 2002

Phil Zimmermann's PGP is back in the hands of an independent company,
after Network Associates agreed to sell the technology it mothballed
back in March to a start-up specially created to market PGP.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5540.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* You're Only as Good as Your Password
August 23rd, 2002

Warren Leggett had just spent the long July 4 weekend golfing with his
brother-in-law near Portland, Ore. Early the following Monday morning, his
relaxing holiday ended abruptly. The chief information officer of Niku
Corp. (NIKU ), a small Silicon Valley software company, found himself
plunged into a shocking case of alleged corporate espionage -- one that
raises troubling questions about the security of company information in
the Internet Age.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5569.html

* Bush's Cyber-Security Plan Targets E-Mail
August 23rd, 2002

In an effort to bolster the nation's cyber-security, the Bush
administration has plans to create a centralized facility for collecting
and examining security-related e-mail and data and will push private
network operators to expand their own data gathering, according to an
unreleased draft of the plan.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5568.html

* The Seven Deadly Security Sins
August 22nd, 2002

When it comes to computer break-ins and breaches, there are plenty of ways
to place blame, but some security Relevant Products/Services from IBM
missteps are more common than others -- and most of them fall into the
category of often-overlooked basics.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5559.html

* Spam Fighters Shouldn't Tread On The Innocent
August 22nd, 2002

Wanting to see spammers put out of business, however, doesn't mean I want
to see innocent folks harmed in the process. But the vigilantes seem to be
taking over the town -- and the results are often unfair, sometimes
grotesque.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5558.html

* Security Policies: Only As Good As The Audit
August 21st, 2002

If you think you have a sound IT policy because your administrators clamor
about the continual need to update security patches, you might want to
think again.  One way to answer all these crucial questions and gauge true
security preparedness is to undertake an IT security policy audit.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5553.html