Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Teen Hacker Packs Feminist Punch

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:15:08 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Ben Greenbaum <bgreenbaum () securityfocus com>
Cc: rferrell () texas net

Forwarded from: rferrell () texas net

(excerpt)

They're simply giving themselves a psychological boost at the
expense of others.

Another word for this sort of behavior is terrorism, <snip>

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Ferrell, but at this point I have to
call shenanigans...

Merriam-Webster defines terrorism as "the systematic use of terror
especially as a means of coercion". The American Heritage® Dictionary
of the English Language, Fourth Edition defines it as "The unlawful
use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized
group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or
coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political
reasons." Nowhere could I find a definition of terrorism that included
"annoying people by messing with their mp3 files."

We need to be careful to be precise in our usage of emotionally loaded
terms, lest our entire industry become equated with FUD. We need to
refrain from calling things by names which they aren't. Bronchitis is
bad. Bronchitis is not cancer. Viruses are bad.  Viruses in general
are not terrorism.

Ben Greenbaum
Director of Product Development - SIA/VDB
SecurityFocus
http://www.securityfocus.com

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.