Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Indian hacker turns cyber cop

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 04:03:15 -0500 (CDT)

From: Sheri Moreau <akindofmagick () earthlink net>

[Is the U.S. Govt that hard up for consultants that its hiring
16 year old former defacers to work as intelligence consultants
in information security?  - WK]

William,

Not to pick any bones, but.. it's a lot cheaper to hire a consultant
in India to work in India than it is to hire an American and get him
to go live in India... it amazed me when I worked in Silicon Valley
just how many companies are jobbing out work over there cuz it's so
cheap (and soooo insecure!!). Without knowing any more than what the
article said, this kid seems to have done one defacement two years ago
(forgiveable for a 14 year old), admitted it concurrently with the
defacement and suggested the defaced site improve their security, and
then written a book that MACMILLAN for heaven's sake, saw fit to
publish a year later.

The un-named "US Government agency" he works for could be any civilian
agency with a contract to the US government, ya know... the moniker is
often a matter of semantics when it comes to the media. Could be
Lockheed or Intel or anyone...

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.