Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Guard the Secrets, Then Catch the Spies

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 01:15:39 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: "Thomas B. Baines" <tbaines () anl gov>

Well gee whiz!  Mr. Bamford thinks we've crippled HUMINT so badly that
we ought to just turn the whole security problem over to technology.
That is exactly the channel of thinking that got us into the mess in
the first place.

I spent a good part of my military career in CI.  I watched the
budgets for manpower, training, and travel shrink year by year in
order to "free up" funding for additional national technical means and
pipe to connect to same. In the process, we became totally vulnerable
to almost any sophisticated insider mischief that might come along.

The answer to security is not automation and more sensors.  The answer
is more and improved HUMINT and CI manning and training, better
monitoring of those with key insider access, and incressed training of
all persons working with classified of what it costs each of us when
national security and economically importatn information is stolen and
sold.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.