Information Security News mailing list archives

Police Use Helicopter for Doughnut Run

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:36:13 -0500 (CDT)

[This has nothing to do with security but gave me a little chuckle
today, one question comes to mind though. How do you fly an OH-58 for
only $80 an hour?  :)   - WK]

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011008/od/helicopter_dc_1.html

Monday October 8, 2001

ALBUQUERQUE (Reuters) - An Albuquerque policeman and his pilot face
disciplinary measures after using a police helicopter this week to
swoop in for a midnight snack of doughnuts, officials said on Friday.

The officer and the civilian pilot were on night patrol over the city
in a Kiowa OH-58 helicopter when they landed in a vacant lot next to a
Krispy Kreme doughnut store around 1 a.m. on Thursday morning.

``The contracted pilot and a police officer landed the copter early in
the morning, ran in and grabbed a dozen, came back out and took off,''
Albuquerque Police Department spokesman Brian McCutcheon said.

``I don't know whose brain child it was, but it's quite an ugly
child,'' he said.

McCutcheon said the event was being investigated as a possible misuse
of city funds as well as for safety reasons, although he added there
was no specific protocol for this case because it had ever happened
before.

``We've been given no reasonable excuse as to why they would even
think they could do this. But there could be some very serious
ramifications,'' he said.

An eyewitness told the Albuquerque Journal that he saw the APD
helicopter circle the Krispy Kreme and land in a nearby dirt field.

``I was angry, and I'm still kind of angry. That's my tax dollars,
your tax dollars. You've got no business flying in to get doughnuts,''
said Keith Turner, who works nearby and was taking a smoke break when
he saw the chopper swoop in,

The cost to the department of running a Kiowa, including fuel and
maintenance, is $80 an hour, McCutcheon said.

A Krispy Kreme employee who asked not to be identified said he didn't
see why people were making a big deal of the unusual doughnut run.

``Cops got to eat, too,'' he said.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org