Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: FBI Official Warns Banks on Computer Security

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () ATTRITION ORG>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 01:33:23 -0700

By Dennis M. Blank,
Special to Government Computer News
Thursday, March 1, 2001; 6:01 PM

A successful hacker attack against the banking and financial system
could cripple the United States within three days, an FBI official
warned this week.

*yawn*

A successful hacker attack against the ______ system could cripple ht
eUnited States within three days.

Power system.. banking system.. air traffic control system..

Please. It is so insulting to know that my tax dollars pay these monkeys
to regurgitate the same drivel we've heard for so many years. How many
times are they going to warn us about this known threat?

Can you imagine if any of us posted to Bugtraq once a week saying "buffer
overflows are a threat" and leaving it at that? How long before we'd
simply be banned from the list or be in every person's kill file?

Achilles heel," said Alan B. Carroll, who supervises the analysis and
warning component at the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection
Center. Our challenge is to button up the holes in our critical
infrastructure, and believe me, there are holes."

Is that all the NIPC is good for? Half ass advisories and bulletins like
this? No wonder they had so much criticism in recent months.

One of the most vulnerable areas is finance and banking because it is
difficult to determine where a cyberattack might originate, he said.

I think you can apply this statement to any type of attack, especially
'cyberattack' against any network, not just banking.

We have had many doors slammed in our faces by banks," Carroll said.
They said, Get out of here because we can do it ourselves."

heh, good for them. I doubt the NIPC could do it for them.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".