Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Life of Crime

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:51:04 -0600

Forwarded by: "Talleur, Thomas" <ttalleur () kpmg com>
cc: Russell Coker <russell () coker com au>

[Mr. Talleur included a 261KB .PDF that I didn't want to forward to
everyone, I will take a peek at it on Friday and likely post it
somewhere on c4i.org with Mr. Talleur's permission. Any additional
comments on this should be taken to private mail.  - WK]

Russell:

My brief response to your Email is not intended to be a comprehensive
answer for a variety of reasons ...

Don't be too harsh on FAST ... they only had space for a snippet piece
about the future in this respect, and, I didn't share with them my
complete thinking about the future because I've had to copyright a lot
of invented terms, technology stuff, and theses for a book that I keep
saying I'm going to write.  So in part, they didn't hear it all from
me, and in part, they're getting part of the conclusions from a thesis
that you couldn't see laid out to justify it.  Also, I didn't write it
... they interpreted what I said ... and wrote it.

All I will say is this:  cyber crime (today) is organized crime ...
not just traditional OC groups ... but new, loosely confederated but
organized cyber groups. This stems from my day to day experience at
NASA.  This type of insight is not always part of the experiential set
of others in law enforcement and security positions for a variety of
reasons.  For this reason, some people will not understand this type
of statement.

Also, I followed the invention of advanced technologies at NASA to
understand their impact and their fabrication process. The creation of
new technologies to achieve NASA's mission raises the issue of how
they will be exploited when implemented in new spacecraft and
technologies.  It was my job to understand this and to creat
counterexploitations so that when new technologies were introduced, we
would have an effective law enforcement mechanism in place to deal
with them and to share with the agency's management for security
purposes.  If one understands how adaptive crime occurs today, it's
not a far stretch to understand how the next level involves predatory,
morphological aspects.

As far as nanotechnology goes, NASA is experimenting with this right
now to address cancer with the National Institute of Health using
nanotechnology. It's not a far stretch to see how these types of
entities could be created for malign purposes ... I already saw
pre-cursors to them at NASA.

The reason people will acquiesce to having chips implanted their
bodies is for the same reasons that people accept pacemakers today:
improve health, performance, and enhance the living experience, and to
compete with others. Instead of taking Ritalin or Prozac tomorrow to
deal with ADHD or Manic Depression, these chips will be used to
regulate the brain to help people with these afflictions.  And to keep
up in school, parents will face the delightful and awful choice of
allowing the implantation of these into their kids bodies so that
their massive neural parallel processors (brains) are accompanied by
strong serial co-processors (our weakness) before their shelf life
ends (of this technology) according to Moores law by about 2020.

<"Cybercrime won't stifle the expansion of e-commerce -- it will ...

Wrong.  There are many occasions when I have considered buying items
online but decided not to because I couldn't trust the integrity and
ability of the

people who run the web site.<

I'm afraid I disagree ... we see it now.  The Internet is filled with
business and other operations that are put on there to facilitate
interelationships ... even when the parties doing so know that there
are risks.  This trend will continue no matter what ... .  I agree
with you about the nature of man ... but actions speak louder than
words.  Man has a history of embracing and using technology long
before he understands the risks and the trends of exposure abound
around us.

Thanks for the recommendations about others books, but, I don't read
them so as to not taint my real life experiences in dealing with this
stuff with others intellectual property.  I think if you can remove
yourself from experience sets / perceptions that might find inhibiting
it will be easier to understand all of this.  Again ... my theses are
based upon my real life experiences in dealing with adaptive
technological crime in an advanced technology public agency.  My
perceptions about the future are not speculations, but syntheses of my
knowledge about new and coming technologies and how the exploitation
of them in the future could have a dark side.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'm glad the article provoked
critical thought on your part and caused you to craft your comments.

Best wishes, tt

PS ... here's some more down to earth stuff to read ...

http://www.cio.com/archive/030101/autopsy.html

http://www.advisor.com/Articles.nsf/aid/LEEDH148

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/00/business/walker/walker0803.ht

http://www.msnbc.com/news/457161.asp#BODY