Information Security News mailing list archives

DoS Attacks on GRC.com

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:05:23 -0500 (CDT)

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

I believe you will be as fascinated and concerned as I am by the
findings of my post-attack forensic analysis, and the results of my
subsequent infiltration into the networks and technologies being used
by some of the Internet's most active hackers.

What Happened?

On the evening of May 4th, 2001, GRC.COM suddenly dropped off the
Internet:

Stemming the Flood with Our ISP

Within a minute of the start of the first attack it was clear that we
were experiencing a "packet flooding" attack of some sort. A quick
query of our Cisco router showed that both of our two T1 trunk
interfaces to the Internet were receiving some sort of traffic at
their maximum 1.54 megabit rate, while our outbound traffic had fallen
to nearly zero, presumably because valid inbound traffic was no longer
able to reach our server. We found ourselves in the situation that
coined the term: Our site's users were being denied our services.

[...]

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribe () SecurityFocus com.