Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - January 15th 2001

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:14:14 -0500

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  January 15, 2001                           Volume 2, Number 3n     |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

This week, a few interesting papers were released.  Among them were,
"Implementing and Managing Linux System Security," "Understanding
Linux file permissions," and "Implementing PKI."  Another interesting
article is "Quantum crypto one step closer."  It discusses some of the
latest advancements in cryptography.

This week, advisories were released for mgetty, perl, xchat,
umb-scheme, wu-ftpd, man, getty_ps, in, squid, arpwatch, useradd,
rdist, gpm, and glibc. The vendors include Debian, LinuxPPC,
Immunix, Mandrake and Red Hat. It is critical that you update all
vulnerable packages.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-2287.html

* Guardian Digital has just announced that that they are
offering A free Handspring Visor with the purchase of any secure
Linux Lockbox.  Please see their website for details.

 -> http://www.guardiandigital.com/visoroffer.html

** OpenDoc Publishing **

Our sponsor this week is OpenDoc Publishing. Their 480-page
comprehensive security book, Securing and Optimizing Linux, takes a
hands-on approach to installing, optimizing, configuring, and
securing Red Hat Linux. Topics include sendmail 8.10.1, OpenSSL,
ApacheSSL, OpenSSH and much more! Includes Red Hat 6.2 and Red Hat
6.2 PowerTools edition.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/sponsors/opendocs.html

HTML Version available:
<http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html>

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* File transfer options -- Part I: Secure iXplorer
January 14th, 2001

This is the first-part in a series of articles about different
options for secure file  transfers. I won't cover how to sniff
connections, steal passwords or if SSH is really  "secure". But
hopefully, I can provide some information that will be valuable for
your web  hosting clients and for you the Apache webserver
administrators.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-2300.html

* Implementing and Managing Linux System Security
January 13th, 2001

Chapter 18 of Linux System Security: The  Administrator's Guide to
Open Source Security Tools. haven't talked about! To put all the
extra work in  perspective, though, think about the labor required to
 recover from a major destructive break-in. From that  perspective,
the effort involved in securing your systems  and networks begins to
look like it might be worth it.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-2296.html

* Understanding Linux file permissions
January 9th, 2001

In a secure multi-user environment like Linux, file permissions
access rights are defined. However, these access rights can cause
problems for  new users who are used to the access-anything style of
DOS/Windows.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2264.html

* LinuxPPC Security Primer, Part II
January 8th, 2001

This article provides a brief overview of programs including OpenSSH,
GPG, and pointers to further information. "If you're like most
LinuxPPC users, a large portion of your computing  time is spent
using network-based applications, either explicitly or implicitly.
Unless you maintain a private physical link with each  computer you
communicate with, this means that your are both  sending and
receiving data over shared networks.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2261.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Build a Floppy Firewall
January 8th, 2001

Here's how I turned an unused PC into a packet-filtering firewall
using a package called floppyfw. The firewall boots off a single
floppy, runs completely in RAM, and uses ipchains for the filter
rules. It also does IP masquerading, port forwarding, and can log to
a remote host using syslog. All this in a machine with as little as 8
MB of RAM and no hard drive!

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2252.html

+------------------------+
| Cryptography News:     |
+------------------------+

* Implementing PKI
January 12th, 2001

A certificate is a structured document that binds some information
(such as Bob's name) to a public key, and is digitally signed by a
trusted third party called a certification authority or CA. To verify
a certificate, the user of the public key must first obtain the
public key of the CA by some other trusted means.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2290.html

* Quantum crypto one step closer
January 11th, 2001

Boffins at UCSB (University of California, Santa Barbara) have made a
breakthrough in  quantum cryptography, and put together a gadget that
is capable of emitting a single  photon.    The device is being
heralded as an important step towards secure quantum  communications
since it will render any signal invulnerable to snooping.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2285.html

* Crypto: Three Decades in Review
January 9th, 2001

It took only a year or two for a pair of computer and math geeks to
discover  modern encryption technology in the 1970s. But it's taken
three decades for the full story to  be told.  Transforming what is
an unavoidably nerdy tale into the stuff of passion and politics is
not a  trivial business, but Steven Levy, the author of Crypto,
proves himself more than up to the  task.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2271.html

* The maths prof., free speech and encryption
January 8th, 2001

While encryption was still under the watchful eye of the US
Department of State,  Bernstein wrote an encryption program called
Snuffle. This was promptly classified as  munitions under then
existing International Traffic in Arms Regulations, which meant a
licence was required if it were to be sent overseas.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2260.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* OpenSSH 2.3 And SSH Secure Shell 2.4
January 12th, 2001

If you're a Linux administrator and you're still using telnet  for
authentication, your network could be in danger. Telnet  passes your
user IDs, password/passphrase, and the content of your terminal
sessions in the clear, where  anyone with a sniffer can see what
you're doing regardless  of whether they have your password.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2288.html

* Feds unveil 'security-enhanced' Linux prototype
January 10th, 2001

The U.S. National Security Agency last week publicly released a
prototype "security-enhanced Linux" operating system, hoping to
attract the  developer community to find ways to improve Linux
security for business and  governmental uses.  So how is the
developer community reacting so far?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-2279.html

* LIDS 1.0.4 for Kernel 2.4 Released
January 9th, 2001

LIDS is a kernel patch to enhance the linux kernel.  LIDS 1.0.4 has
been released for use with kernel version 2.4.0.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-2265.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* IRC Attack Linked to DoS Threat
January 12th, 2001

Recent vicious cyberattacks on IRC services have now been linked to a
National Infrastructure Protection Center security warning that
advised systems administrators to protect their systems against a
potential widespread distributed denial of service attack over New
Year's weekend.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2292.html

* Security is out of step with ebusiness
January 12th, 2001

Fewer than half of blue-chip companies believe that their ebusiness
and  security strategies are effectively coordinated. Business
managers are guilty of demanding ebusiness at all costs and security
is overlooked, according to research by analyst group Xephon.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-2289.html

* Implementing PKI
January 11th, 2001

The White House yesterday essentially threw in the towel on the
government's ability to limit exports of high-performance computers,
while also  acknowledging that there's little the U.S. can do to
prevent other nations from  developing high-powered systems by
harnessing computer power through  networked clusters of machines.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2284.html

* History Looks at the NSA
January 10th, 2001

To the NSA, of course, its devilish reputation is merely an
unfortunate Hollywood fiction. Its director, Lt. Gen. Michael Hayden,
has taken every opportunity to say so, most recently on a History
Channel documentary that aired for the first time Monday evening.
"It's absolutely critical that (Americans) don't fear the power that
we have," Hayden said on the show.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2274.html