Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Security's Hard Knocks - easy open doors

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:12:16 -0600

Forwarded by: Patrick Campbell <jp_campbell () yahoo com>

Even employees with no criminal history can be a danger.

I am a telephone/email support technician and often I have to return
phone calls to clients.

Many times i've initiated calls to customers, I end up talking to a
secretary and when I need to get into their router to modify the
config, he/she will give me all of their internet connection
passwords, passwords to the router, and the IP address once I show
them how to find it.

They never question my identity.

There are employees with criminal backgrounds, and there are
uneducated employees who can compromise your security.

Luckily for the people I call, I'm calling to help them and not hack
their systems.

Educate your employees to be very skeptical of people who call in
claiming to be with tech support.

You may make my job more difficult, i.e. I have to take time to let
them verify who I am but your network will be more secure.