Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Bush alert over pupil's prank

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:09:57 -0600

Forwarded by: mixter () 2xs co il

security curmudgeon wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_1153000/1153922.stm

[The interesting part of this story is that the CIA intercepted the
mail which I thought was usually allegedly done by the NSA. :) - WK]
[...]
If the NSA does the sniffing..

And the Secret Service handles the protecting..

What does the CIA have to do with this? If this is a public and
verified fact, then it seems mail to whitehouse.gov is actually
analyzed by the CIA at their request. Kind of odd since the Secret
Service originally headed up the computer crime investigations in
the early 90's. Seems they would have a staff member or two that
could and would handle all computer related events, be at the
White House or not.

Hmm, according to what I know and suspect, the NSA does no longer
handle the sniffing of internet data. My suspicion is that they have
stopped doing this as they have become known publicly as federal
agency, and public concerns surfaced about echelon. The handling of
echelon-related and domestic surveillance has been moved to the
Special Collection Service (SCS), so the US gov can deny the existence
of a new agency :). The NSA might be called for assistance when
encrypted messages need to be decoded/identified. I guess the SCS is a
new sub-branch of the CIA...

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".