Information Security News mailing list archives

Virus map paints U.S. red

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 20:14:08 -0600

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4759955.html?tag=lh

By Paul Festa
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 8, 2001, 1:30 p.m. PT

In a new map of the world showing the prevalence of computer viruses,
North America sticks out like a sore, infected thumb.

The map, posted by antivirus company McAfee.com, indicates the
intensity of computer virus activity in deepening shades of red. The
map can show the viral activity during the past 24 hours, the past
week or the past month. It can also show the number of computers or
files infected.

North America, Australia, Sweden and Chile radiate hues of magenta and
crimson. The former Soviet Union and most of the African continent
appear virtually untouched in a pale beige.

Does a geographic breakdown of computer viruses make sense in a global
network, when a virus can travel as easily from the Philippines to
Silicon Valley as it can across the street?

"The purpose of the map was to serve as a real-time
information-gathering tool," said Sam Curry, security architect for
McAfee.com. "We watch viruses like I Love You or Melissa, and we see a
wave of red going around the world as people turn on their computers
in the morning. It is a tool people could use, like a weather map, so
they can see what is happening out there."

The McAfee map has obvious limitations. Countries with few computers
can be expected to have few computer viruses, for example, thus
explaining the swath of beige covering developing countries. In
addition, computers that don't use McAfee software aren't included.

Still, McAfee defended the map as more than a marketing gimmick,
saying it can serve as an early-warning system in extreme cases, when
a virus begins propagating in one geographic region and follows the
sun around the globe.

The most salient characteristic of geography for the antivirus crowd,
according to Curry, is the time zone.

"The geographical map makes sense because people's behavior still goes
according to the human clock," Curry said. "They eat in the evening,
wake up in the morning, check their e-mail at certain times, go to
work--that's why time zones matter."

At the time it was launched, the McAfee.com map reflected information
gleaned from nearly 39 billion files. McAfee customers voluntarily
send their data back to the company to be analyzed for viral presence;
20 percent of computers were found to be infected worldwide.

Curry warned against using the map to try to escape the scourge of
computer viruses.

"Threats are not geographically determined," Curry said. "We can track
trends, but you're not safer in areas where there are fewer attacks.
This is not an incentive to move your data center to sub-Saharan
Africa."

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".