Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - February 5th 2001

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 00:24:07 -0500

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  February 5th, 2001                        Volume 2, Number 6n      |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

A few good papers were released this week.  Some of the best include
"Intrusion Detection Systems: Part II - Installing Tripwire,"
"System Fingerprinting," and "Intrusion Detection Systems for your
network: Part I.  These articles may prove to be helpful.

Real World Linux Security: Bob Toxen's Perspective
In this interview, Bob introduces his new book, discusses the "seven
deadly sins" of Linux security, and outlines the benefits of the open
source software model. He also points out the pitfalls that many
system administrators fall into and how to avoid them.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-76.html

This week, advisories were released for MySQL, bind, kdesu, glibc,
openssh, ident, periodic, sort, micq, tinyproxy, exmh2, xemacs,
inetd, and LPRng.  The vendors include Conectiva, Caldera, Debian,
Immunix, FreeBSD, Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, Slackware, and Trustix.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-2430.html

** OpenDoc Publishing **

Our sponsor this week is OpenDoc Publishing. Their 480-page
comprehensive security book, Securing and Optimizing Linux, takes a
hands-on approach to installing, optimizing, configuring, and
securing Red Hat Linux. Topics include sendmail 8.10.1, OpenSSL,
ApacheSSL, OpenSSH and much more! Includes Red Hat 6.2 and Red Hat
6.2 PowerTools edition.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/sponsors/opendocs.html

HTML Version available:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* Former System Admin. Sentenced
February 2nd, 2001

A former network administrator for the US District Court in Alaska
has been sentenced for launching a series of denial-of-service
attacks against a New York District Court Web site.   According to
information released today by the FBI, Anchorage resident Scott
Dennis was sentenced Jan. 19 to three months in jail for launching
three denial-of-service attacks against the US District Court for the
Eastern District of New York.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-2431.html

* Intrusion Detection Systems: Part II - Installing Tripwire
January 31st, 2001

In the first part of this series we had a laid the ground work that
took us a step further towards understanding the necessity of a full
fledged Intrusion Detection system (IDS). A good policy is to mix and
match the best to form a security grid that should be difficult
enough even for the expert cracker to penetrate. The various IDS
systems of interest to us throughout this series will be purely
Tripwire and Snort.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2412.html

* System Fingerprinting
January 29th, 2001

When someone with half a clue decides to attack your system, they
will first try to identify the operating system.  Not every attack
proceeds this way -- script kiddies will probe huge address spaces
looking for any system with a particular port open, indicating that
just maybe that system will be vulnerable.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2399.html

* SSL is not a magic bullet
January 28th, 2001

Unfortunately, SSL has a checkered past and present.  Like other
security problems involving encryption packages, the issues lie not
so much in SSL as in the software used to implement and support it.
Instead of guaranteeing security, SSL may provide a false sense of
security through its occasional failings.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2386.html

* Linux security basics
January 26th, 2001

Here is a defensive driving course for the information superhighway.
Learn to develop a  threat model, to implement security measures, and
to find out what the newest threats may  be. There seem to be two
kinds of people in the world: those who think computer security is
fun and  exciting, and those who think it is arcane and scary.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2382.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Extreme Security For Web Servers
February 2nd, 2001

To enter the vaults inside the windowless bunker-like compound
requires punching in key codes and slipping your fingers into a
series of scanners similar to those used at the U.S. Navy's nuclear
facilities.   The scanners leave little to chance. Their sensitive
glass touch pads read thumbprints and detect body heat and pulse.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2432.html

* Net Present Value of Information Security: Part I
January 30th, 2001

Ebusiness offers tremendous opportunities for reducing costs and
improving  revenues. However, along with the advantages it also
brings new threats and liabilities that leave businesses highly
vulnerable to cyber attack and fraud.  Business today must be
concerned with the impact of ebusiness on core business  purpose,
service availability, customer confidence and privacy.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2405.html

* Intrusion Detection Systems for your network: Part I
January 30th, 2001

As a System administrator of a *NIX network it is your responsibility
to ensure that your *NIX machines are running in perfect condition
and to see to it that valuable customers and transactions are not
lost, by minimizing the down time. This responsibility becomes even
more pressurizing when we talk about today's scenario wherein smooth
flow of high volume traffic is the need of the hour in most
environments. It is a known fact that most big names in the business
of E-Commerce hardware / software solutions, expect 99.99999 %(that's
the five 9 concept) uptime.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2402.html

* Firewalls remain best bet for security, although none can be
completely safe
January 29th, 2001

Lately, hackers have discovered they can sneak into your computer by
sending  look-alike imposters to the firewall's gate. The hackers
simply rename a snooping  program or a virus so that it has the same
file name as your browser or e-mail  program, and your firewall
program will wave it right through the gate.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2396.html

* Top Ten Secure Shell FAQs
January 28th, 2001

SSH, the Secure Shell, is a set of protocols and software that
provide secure, remote terminal  sessions between networked
computers. In addition to a simple remote command prompt, most SSH
implementations also provide secure forwarding of X Window traffic as
well as forwarding of  connections to arbitrary TCP ports.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2387.html

* Internet Exploits Defined
January 26th, 2001

Start with the basics. "No longer does a hacker have to huddle in
front of a  glowing monitor. Today's hacker has at his disposal a
literal arsenal of fully automated tools, through which he  can gain
access to your system without lifting so much  as a finger. These are
known as "exploits."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-2380.html

+------------------------+
| Cryptography News:     |
+------------------------+

* Pinoy math enthusiast finds fast way to decode RSA encryption
February 4th, 2001

"Filipino mathematics enthusiast has developed a new method of
decoding RSA (RivestShamir-Adleman) encryption using three simple
formulas.   Leo de Velez has discovered these three formulas are
simple forward equations that allow fast decoding of RSA encryption.
"

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2440.html

* Crypto regs still tricky
February 1st, 2001

Over a year after the US government first announced the
liberalization of encryption export rules, a tangle of vestigial
regulations might still trip up unwary developers, experts say.
"Never work under the belief that encryption is not controlled," said
Susan Kotila, project manager with Apple's export license department.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2416.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* Internet Software Consortium's in a BIND with users
February 2nd, 2001

name server software this  week, the Internet Software Consortium is
starting a fee-based, members-only forum, a  move that many observers
feel will only worsen the software's security problems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-2390.html

* IBM Reveals New "Signcryption" Algorithm
February 1st, 2001

A new algorithm developed by IBM could double the speed of secure
online communications. IBM  says the combination
encryption/authentication technique  is particularly suited to
securing Internet protocols, storage  area network protocols,
fiber-optic networks and  e-business transactions. But analysts say
the new  technique needs further study.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2428.html

* An Introduction to the OCTAVE Method
February 1st, 2001

Information systems are essential to most organizations today. The
confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information are
critical to organizations' missions. However, many organizations form
protection strategies for their information systems by focusing
solely on infrastructure weaknesses; they fail to establish the
effect on their most important information assets.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-2420.html

* NSA attempting to design crack-proof computer
February 1st, 2001

Software emulation firm VMware announced it has teamed up with
researchers at the  National Security Agency to create a nearly
crack-proof computer that can place sensitive  data in virtual vaults
inside the PC.  The concept, assuming it works, would streamline the
methods intelligence agencies use to  manage data. At present, the
NSA--the military surveillance arm of the United States intelligence
community--physically separates networks carrying data of a
particular classification.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2427.html

* Call For Testers: New Secure ftpd
January 29th, 2001

Chris Evans has announced a beta release of "vsftpd". "vsftpd is an
FTP server, or daemon. The "vs" stands for Very Secure. Obviously
this is not a guarantee, but a reflection that I have written the
entire codebase with security in mind, and carefully designed the
program to be resilient to attack"

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-2385.html

* Some Thoughts on the Occasion of the NSA Linux Release
January 27th, 2001

There are two things I am sure of after all these years: there is a
growing societal need for high assurance software, and market forces
are never going to provide it. Superficially, I'm going to offer a
few comments on the technology underlying the NSA release.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-2434.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* Tech industry calls for privacy self-regulation
January 31st, 2001

The Bush administration and Congress should focus on  better science
and math education to boost high technology and leave privacy
concerns to the companies involved, a technology trade group said in
a report  released Tuesday.   The American Electronics Association,
the largest trade group of its kind, noted  that recent U.S. economic
growth has been due largely to the high-tech explosion.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2407.html

* Spotlight On Privacy
January 31st, 2001

A showdown is brewing between the technology industry and consumer
advocates over what kind of online privacy legislation the 107th
Congress should adopt.  Consumer advocates and many legislators want
a federal law that limits what e-commerce firms can do with
information they collect about Web users. Most industry groups, on
the other hand, say that no Net privacy laws are necessary and that
the industry can effectively regulate itself.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-2409.html