Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft exec tells how hacker got in

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () ATTRITION ORG>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:42:48 -0700

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeattleTimes.woa/wa/gotoArticle?zsection_id=268448455&text_only=0&slug=hack23&document_id=134269414

by Brier Dudley
Seattle Times technology reporter
Friday, February 23, 2001

A top Microsoft executive revealed yesterday how a hacker was able to
view some of the company's top-secret source code last October, shedding
light on a notorious attack that raised concern worldwide about network
security.

This is so amusing. I am too lazy to track down exact URL's and quotes
right now, but how many articles did we read that quoted Microsoft
officials as saying the hackers did NOT have access to source code at any
point?

The one redeeming quality to that entire incident (to some people) was
that Microsoft was bold enough to acknowledge the attack. Yeah, they were
cornered by reporters who had an inside scoop and had no choice. Now, we
find out that they were still lying about the severity of the intrusion.

So.. previous to this we had to trust Microsoft's buggy code. Now, we are
to trust Microsoft's potentially backdoored buggy code?

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".