Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Unix Security - Steganography

From: "Curt Bryson (NTI)" <curt () FORENSICS-INTL COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:35:06 -0800

I agree.

This is just MHO, but I cannot see steg becoming as MUCH of an issue as many
play it up to be.

Yes, it's difficult to detect the histos, and yes it's quite a good way to
protect WHATEVER the data is, whether porn, fraud, or legitimate information
you want private.  With only a handful of pseudo-successful techniques
available to help ya find it... then what?  Once found, it is also difficult
at best to reverse or extract the info from the steg'd host.

One factor will keep steg from wide-spread and common use:  ease of use.  It
is one thing to steg something and transmit as long as it is a relatively
small job or a focused pursuit.  But humans will resist ubiquitous use of
steg on a system until such time as it becomes easy.  I recall the arcane
command line for early PGP.  I loved PGP and it's capabilities.  I hated
having to slow down and encrypt everything manually - batch files/shell
scripts became a mandatory creation, heh.  I therefore chose to protect only
that information that REALLY needed encryption.  That kind of flies in the
face of certain philosophies; but it was human nature, so I did it.

I have found that while criminals, for example, COULD steg everything
incriminating to them; they don't.  They are not without the human frailty
of laziness.  As soon as someone comes out with a transparent app, though,
then I'll concern myself a bit more with the potentials of steg.

Curt Bryson
Computer Forensics/Internet Investigations
Consultant

New Technologies, Inc.

http://www.forensics-intl.com
2075 NE Division St.