Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Infamous hacker group helps the Feds

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:03:02 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1127639

By James Middleton
12-12-2001

The controversy, rumours and speculation surrounding the FBI's
Magic Lantern tool has attracted ridicule from the internet
underground.

Not only has one virus writer constructed a piece of malware under
the same name, but now infamous hacker group the Cult of the Dead
Cow (cDc) has offered a helping hand to the Feds.

This is interesting when you consider that cDc members have told half
a dozen journalists their announcement was "satire".

I can understand Middleton writing this though. Their "satire" shows
little to no sign of it being humor really. I questioned the
announcement on another list in which several journalists replied
saying they had followed up with Fleming, only to verify it was a hoax
announcement.

"We are confident that the government will limit the use of this
technology only to targets relevant to legitimate investigations,"
he added, further underscoring the cult's faith in federal law
enforcement organisations. "The FBI has a long history of
following Title 18 to the letter."

This is the *only* part of the announcement that really stands out as
possible satire. The title 18 remark. However, some people do believe
the FBI are 100% law abiding, rule following, model citizens and
agents.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.
-