Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Code Red is Not The Problem

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:40:06 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded by: William T. Barrett <wtb () uhaul com>

Interesting thoughts. I thought I would just comment on some of the
more salient points.  I tried to use humor to point out the
absurities, but it probably just comes across as being a asshole.

How about making providing software, with security bugs, for
commercial use a felony or something that no disclaimer can waive
responsibility for ? Maybe it should be a felony to release any
software package with any known bugs or in doing so a software
manufacturer voids any claim to hiding behind a disclaimer.

<sarcasm>

Oh great idea.  And we know what a great job those people in
Washington do writing laws for the computer industry.  I mean with the
widespread succes of the DMCA and the so called Child Online
Protection Act and of course the 1996 comunications decentcy act.

</sarcasm>

What about going a step further and including deploying software
with security bugs a felony, that way making system admins take
more care in the software they install.

Were you dropped on your head as a child? It's stressful enough to do
this job without the threat of going to jail for fogeting to install a
patch.  Of course there wouldnt be a patch to put on because that
would mean that a flaw exists in the firstplace and therefore you are
admiting guilt to the first one.

I don't care if the cost of software increases ten fold or it
takes five times as long to get it out the door, our current
industry wide practices are simply not good enough.  It is time
that was fixed.

well bully for you.  personally I have a hard enough time squeezeing
pennies out for the stuff we use now.  While you aperently have a
unlimited budget to work with in the real world most companies cant
afford that.

How much would it cost Microsoft to do extensive testing of
Windows XP, prior to launch, searching for buffer overflows (for
example) in every DLL routine, etc, vs how much it will cost the
world to clean up later as the bugs get reported ?

Oh yes the "billons" of dollars these incedents cost.  You know I
would like to see somebody be able to explain exatly how they come up
with these numbers. I'm pretty sure it includes the terms "pulling"
and "ass".

Look at all the i's which need dotting and t's which need crossing
if you want to make a vehicle to drive on the roads, never mind
sell to others.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting killed in a computer crash.  (he
was surfing under the infulence and formated a family of six!! right.)

Why do we accept a complete lack of such standards in the software
industry?

Probably because it is virtualy impossable to check billons of lines
of complex code and find every single possable error.  But that's just
my oppinion.

Unfortunately to get anything along these lines requires lobbying
politicians to get them to understand and write the correct bill.

goto <sarcasm>

-WTB

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.