Information Security News mailing list archives

Computer Hacker Says Attacked Site to Prove Talent of Guatemalans

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:43:21 -0500

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGIDE9OZRCC.html

Sep 5, 2000 - 03:57 PM

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) - The country's tax system took its Web site out
of service for several hours Tuesday after an attack by hacker who
claimed to be defending the country's honor.

In an e-mail message sent to major newspapers, "Hack" claimed to have
been offended by a recent story in the daily Prensa Latina which
assured that Guatemala had no computer hackers.

"I deny that, not in order to harm anyone or to gain anything, but
simply to clarify that there are very capable people in our country,"
the hacker wrote.

In Monday's message, "Hack" claimed to have modified the Web site for
the Superintendent of Tax Administration, or SAT.

The agency at first denied it, but later discovered that the slogan on
its site had been modified. "Service and attention with clarity" was
changed to "Service and attention without clarity."

The hacker also left a message on the site: "We should believe in our
children, our people and our country."

Erika Garcia, a spokeswoman for the agency, said the attack on the
site affected only the portal, not higher-security links with data.
She said technicians removed the site from service for several hours
to test its security.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC