Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Would You Hire A Hacker?

From: Oscar Rau <osca003 () attglobal net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:04:59 +0000

On  0, William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG> wrote:
http://www.cio.com/archive/090100_soundoff.html

<STUFF DELETED>

Very interesting article! Hiring hackers one practice in the IT business that I
deplore. It is making mockery of the kids going to college and graduating
with possible loans. While the kid who screws around breaking into others
systems gets handsomely paid. It is no excuse to say, "I am trying to point
out the mistakes in the system." The companies setting this type of examples
should be ashamed of promoting this type of practice.

The analogy I can think of is to hire a murderer to be your body guard.

Well, the larger question is, should the kids start breaking into systems to
get a handsomely paid job? Isn't this practice encouraging the hacking
activity itself?

My .02 cents/euros/whatever....

BTW, I benefit a lot from the articles posted by William Knowles! They are
very insightful and timely. Thank you very much William for the informative
articles!!

--

Oscar Rau
osca003 () attglobal net