Information Security News mailing list archives

Slashdot Database Compromised by 'White Hat' Hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:00:54 -0500

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-29-002-20-PS

Sep 29, 2000, 03:15 UTC

Visitors to Slashdot this evening were greeted by a story announcing
that the popular site's database had been compromised by 'hackers from
the Netherlands,' who had secured the exploit and e-mailed Slashdot
administrators informing them of the compromise.

A story on the front page posted under site founder Rob 'Cmdr Taco'
Malda's name reads:

from the w00h00-departement dept.
Today the the Slashdot database was compromised by 2 hackers from the
Netherlands. !(Nohican && {}) They secured the hole and send an email
to the admins, they even should be reading it now.

A Slashdot editor acknowledged the compromise in a terse addendum to
the story:

"We know about it, blah-blah-blah. Don't email us. I think it's safe
to say that whatever happened, you'll hear the full details soon
enough. Thanks."

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".