Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week, October 16th 2000

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:26:47 -0400

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  October 16, 2000                          Volume 1, Number 24n     |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

This week, a few interesting firewall articles were released.  "A
Problem with Firewalls & Firewall Technology," "Installing a firewall,"
and "Linux firewall survey, Part 1: Open source product roundup."  If
you haven't yet built a firewall for your network, or looking to
harden your existing setup, these articles may prove to be helpful.

The documentation for LIDS (Linux Intrusion Detection System) has
been updated.  If you are unfamiliar with LIDS, it is a patch and
set of administration tools used to enhance a systems security. The
new documentation is available:

http://www.lids.org/document/build_lids-0.2.html

This week, advisories were released for mod_rewrite, mod_php3,
tmpwatch, traceroute, boa, esound, usermode, gnorpm, openssh, apache,
and cfengine. The vendors include Caldera, Conectiva, Debian, FreeBSD,
Immunix,  LinuxPPC, Mandrake, SuSE, and Trustix.  It is critical that
you update all vulnerable packages to reduce the risk of being
compromised.

Vulnerability List: http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

Webmasters, our advisory and news feed is now available in RDF
format. We invite you to use and customize our feed to provide
up-to-date security content on your website.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/linuxsecurity_articles.rdf
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/linuxsecurity_advisories.rdf

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **
Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL! Get the
free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache
SSL security issues and more at:

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/thawte.pl

HTML Version available:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* Build a Secure Linux System with LIDS
October 10th, 2000

The documentation of LIDS -- "Build a secure Linux system with LIDS"
is updated to version 0.2. This document talks about what LIDS is,
what the benifit of LIDS is, and how to build a secure linux system
step by step with LIDS. This updated vesion cooresponds to LIDS
version 0.9.2 and later.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-1722.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Unverified Fields - A Problem with Firewalls & Firewall Technology
October 15th, 2000

The following  problem (as discussed in this paper) has not yet been
identified. Certain firewalls today, will not authenticate the
validity of certain protocol fields, within the packet they are
processing. The risk is exposure of information.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1754.html

* Format Strings: An Interview with Chris Evans
October 11th, 2000

"In a previous article I covered the basics of format string attacks.
This time I've interviewed Chris Evans, whom I quoted in the last
article. Without further ado, here is the interview. "It appears to
me that these format strings have been present a very long time.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-1730.html

* Installing a firewall, Part 1
October 10th, 2000

In this three-part series, you will learn to install and configure a
Linux server and  firewall. Part 1 covers the selection and
installation of a secure Linux distribution.  Part 2 will cover the
reassignment of services provided by the old firewall that the
authors replaced. And Part 3 covers the actual process of installing
the firewall  itself.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1727.html

* Linux firewall survey, Part 1: Open source product roundup
October 9th, 2000

The standard firewalling support in the Linux  kernel is built upon
two components --  ipchains and IP Masquerading. Both  features are
included in standard kernel  distributions. Ipchains is a mechanism
for  filtering IP packets; its inclusion means that  any flavor of
Linux can be configured to run as a filtering gateway/firewall
almost right  out of the box.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1719.html

+------------------------+
|   Cryptography News:   |
+------------------------+

* Crypto Expert Warns That Cryptography Not Secure Enough
October 13th, 2000

One of the world's leading experts on computer security said that
because of recent developments in the online world, cryptography on
its own is now not enough to protect systems in the digital world.
In his new book, Bruce Schneier, an internationally acclaimed
security expert, said that protecting information has become
increasingly difficult in the digital world.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1752.html

* LCI-SMARTpen AES Compliance
October 12th, 2000

The new model of LCI-SMARTpen is the first in the world to comply
with new encryption standard.  "The National Institute for Standards
and Technology (NIST) has selected Rijndael as the proposed Advanced
Encryption Standard (AES) algorithm. The AES will be a new Federal
Information Processing Standard. The newly selected Rijndael
algorithm is already implemented in the latest release of the LCI
SMARTpen, which is now in the market."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1744.html

* Cracked! 'World's toughest' code broken
October 12th, 2000

A team of Swedish computer buffs has  fought off thousands of rivals
from around the  world to crack what was billed as the toughest  code
challenge ever set.   It took the Swedes the equivalent of 70 years
of  computer time to decipher 10 increasingly difficult  codes set by
author Simon Singh in his international  bestseller "The Code Book."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1745.html

* Special Report: Unlocking PKI
October 9th, 2000

PKI isn't a drop-in proposition.  Someone's got to design an
infrastructure for it, based  on both the requirements of the
technology and the  structure of the organization's existing security
 systems. Key pairs and digital certificates must be  generated,
distributed, and tracked.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-1717.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* Bank Offers Web-Based Safe Deposit Boxes for Electronic Documents
October 12th, 2000

Metal safe deposit boxes have been a longtime staple of the banking
industry. But that was last century.  With a new federal law that
took effect Oct. 1 making digitally signed documents legally binding,
valuable electronic documents are now as sure to pile up on computer
hard drives as their paper predecessors did in metal file cabinets.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-1741.html

* International Kernel Patch 2.2.17.7
October 11th, 2000

The idea of the International Kernel Patch is to collect all crypto
patches so that using crypto in the  kernel will be easier than
today. The patch includes a number of crypto patches including a
crypto API including Blowfish, CAST-128, DES, DFC, IDEA, MARS, RC6,
Rijndael, Safer, Serpent, and  Twofish, an encrypted filesystem
loopback device using the crypto API, CIPE VPN and EnSKIP  patches.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1732.html

* Sendmail Offers Secure Business E-Mail
October 10th, 2000

E-mail is becoming so important to business that e-mail systems must
be upgraded for security and reliability. Sendmail is offering
Sendmail Switch 2.1 and Sendmail Advanced Message Server as a step
toward those goals in the enterprise, said Sendmail Chairman Greg
Olsen.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-1720.html

+------------------------+
|    General News:       |
+------------------------+

* Privacy expert monitors issue with a keen eye
October 13th, 2000

Richard Smith has dedicated himself to demanding high security and
privacy standards of Internet companies.   A veteran computer
programmer, Smith knows how information collected through technology
can be manipulated in ways the developer never intended. Currently
the chief technology officer at the Privacy Foundation, Smith has
gained prominence for revealing tracking technologies within software
programs, operating systems and Internet services, including
high-profile privacy flaws at RealNetworks and Microsoft.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-1753.html

* Congress Sets Net Privacy Standards
October 12th, 2000

Lawmakers supportive of Internet privacy laws said Wednesday they
would take an issue-by-issue approach next year rather than push for
sweeping legislation.  They also said the government should set
higher standards of privacy for its Web sites. Lawmakers testifying
at a House hearing said they favor ``baseline standards'' of privacy
rather than the strict guarantees common in Europe - or
``micromanaging,'' as they were called by Rep. Bob Goodlatte,
co-chairman of the Congressional Internet Caucus.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-1743.html

* Less secrecy, more security
October 11th, 2000

There's been controversy over revelations of security flaws in
software products.  Some believe all should be public. Others claim
nothing should be revealed.  On this issue, taking a middle course
seems best and is gaining support.  Going for maximum publicity has
merits.  Those that want to disclose the exact techniques used to
exploit security weaknesses cite vendor intransigence.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-1729.html

* SANS Federal CIOs List: Top Worries About Security
October 11th, 2000

The respondents each allocated a hypothetical $100,000 budget among
seven threats faced  by federal agencies. Respondents could choose to
allocate all the money to stopping a single threat or to  spread it
in any manner.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-1728.html

* Small Biz Vulnerable to Net Attacks
October 11th, 2000

Half of small and midsize businesses that implement and supervise
their own network security will fall prey to a successful cybercrime
by 2003, according to new research released Tuesday by Gartner Group.
More than 60 percent of those firms will not even detect that their
systems have been compromised, Gartner said.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-1731.html

* Forget your password? Picture this.
October 10th, 2000

Imagine never forgetting your password or PIN. Better still, imagine
never having to wait in the queue watching impatiently as the fellow
in front of you forgets his PIN  for the third time. Does this sound
like an impossible dream? It's not.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-1723.html