Information Security News mailing list archives

MK Eitan calls for Internet truce

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:50:44 -0500

http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2000/10/24/LatestNews/LatestNews.14275.html

Tuesday, October 24 2000  Tishri 5761

By Josh Wander

Likud MK and Internet expert Michael Eitan is calling for an immediate
end to the cyberspace war between pro-Israeli and pro-Arab hackers.

Since the violence began in Israel some four weeks ago, websites of
the Israeli government and Hizbullah have been among those targeted by
thousands of nationalistic Web users on both sides.

"I call for a truce between the two sides," said Eitan, who chairs the
Knesset Internet sub-committee. "The Internet should not be used as a
weapon but as an international medium for information."

Eitan told JPost.com he suggested the Israeli government take notice
and prepare itself for the possibility that it will be attacked by
external sources as far back as 1996.

"Parallel to the war we are fighting in the field, there's a virtual
war being waged against Israel," said Eitan. "I think we should
persuade the international community of the need to create a body
which will insist on strict regulations and enforce them to stop such
attacks."

However, should there be no cyber-truce, Eitan maintains there can be
only one winner in this Web-war. "Whoever wins this war is the country
or people best prepared and the most technologically advanced. In this
case, there's no question the State of Israel will be victorious,"
said Eitan.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC