Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week, Oct 23rd 2000

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:06:30 -0400

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  October 23, 2000                          Volume 1, Number 25n     |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

This week, a few interesting articles were released discussing firewalls.
"Installing a firewall," and "Internet Firewall Essentials" covers the
basics on how to implement firewall protection.  In our Vendor section, we
have highlighted an article that outlines a few of the commercial Linux
firewalls that are available.

This week, advisories were released for gnupg, php, traceroute, curl,
fingerd, xpdf, LPRnf, muh, apache, cfengine, ping, ypbind/client, and
gnorpm.   The vendors include Caldera, Conectiva, Debian, FreeBSD,
Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, and TurboLinux.  It is critical
that you update all vulnerable packages to reduce the risk of
being compromised.

Vulnerability List: http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

Webmasters, our advisory and news feed is now available in RDF
format. We invite you to use and customize our feed to provide
up-to-date security content on your website.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/linuxsecurity_articles.rdf
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/linuxsecurity_advisories.rdf

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **
Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL! Get the
free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache
SSL security issues and more at:

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/thawte.pl

HTML Version available:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* Installation of a Secure Web Server
October 22nd, 2000

This document provides a step-by-step guide to building a more secure
web server, as well as tips on network placement. "Web servers are
the most exposed servers on the Internet. In order for clients/target
groups to  be able to access the information provided, web servers
must be accessible from any point on  the Internet."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-1800.html

* BSDCon's BSD System Security tutorial
October 19th, 2000

This year's BSDCon is being held at the Monterey Hyatt, in Monterey
Ca. The first tutorial was a two-day tutorial covering BSD System
Security. For the most part the classes are  intensive and there was
a lot of ground to cover. And attendees should have been fairly
comfortable with at least one flavor of UNIX.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/organizations_events_article-1791.html

* Paasword: security
October 17th, 2000

End-user security training could be the next IT budget blower, as
e-commerce catapults sloppy end-user security practices beyond the
corporate firewall. However the stakes are higher than ever before,
with not just confidential corporate information at risk but
ecommerce  contracts and money transfers.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-1770.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* DNS security upgrade promises a safer 'Net
October 20th, 2000

An emerging technology promises to improve the security of the
Internet's infrastructure by preventing  hackers from hijacking Web
traffic and redirecting it  to bogus sites.   The new security
mechanism, dubbed DNSSEC,  plugs a hole in the Internet's Domain Name
System (DNS) that hackers have exploited to spoof Web sites.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-1794.html

* Wireless Security
October 19th, 2000

Wireless devices are flooding the airwaves with millions of bits of
information. Securing those transmissions is the next challenge
facing e-commerce.  In the not-too-distant future, you won't think
twice about using your cell phone or PDA to access Amazon.com, Chase
Manhattan or Home Depot from your beach blanket or backyard lawn
chair.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-1790.html

* Inside the world of a 'hactivist'
October 18th, 2000

Yetzer's a hacker and an acknowledged "social engineer" with curious
nocturnal  habits. There are thousands of people like him, who by day
are system and network administrators, security analysts and
start-up co-founders. When night  comes, they transform into vampire
wanna-bes, hedonists, Goths,  cross-dressers and sadomasochists.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-1784.html

* Installing a firewall, Part 2
October 17th, 2000

In this three-part series, you'll learn to install and configure a
Linux  server and firewall. Part 1 covered the selection and
installation of a  secure Linux distribution. Part 2 covers the
reassignment of the  services provided by the old firewall the
authors replaced.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1772.html

* Internet Firewall Essentials
October 16th, 2000

This document, written in 1996, does an excellent job of describing
the basics of the firewall, including proxy and bastion hosts,
building a firewall, placement, and references to more information on
building firewalls.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1762.html

* Abnormal IP Packets
October 16th, 2000

This article is a very good introduction to the basics IP packets.
"This article, a discussion of the characteristics of abnormal
Internet Protocol (IP) packets, is the first in a series of tutorials
that are intended to educate intrusion detection system
administrators about IP."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-1760.html

+------------------------+
|   Cryptography News:   |
+------------------------+

* New Encryption Regulations Take Effect On Today
October 20th, 2000

In the final step toward matching the European Union's recent
liberalization of rules governing the export of  encryption products,
the Commerce Department's Bureau of  Export Administration has
published a final rule allowing the export of  encryption products of
any strength to 15 EU nations and eight other  trading partners.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1793.html

* Crypto-Gram October 15
October 16th, 2000

This month Bruce Schneier talks about the AES announcement, the NSA
and security, "The Third Wave of Network Attacks", and comments on
Senator Orrin Hatch's "Privacy Tools Handbook".

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-1758.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* Linux firewall survey, Part 2: Commercial firewall products
October 17th, 2000

In Part 2 of our series on firewalls, another big name in software
goes  Linux. Check Point FireWall-1 helps Linux adapt to the critical
area of  securing enterprises. Also, some more firewalls for those
who want to  pay for their security.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-1767.html

+------------------------+
|    General News:       |
+------------------------+

* Dot-mil leads DNS security upgrade
October 20th, 2000

Government agencies -- especially in the Defense  Department -- are
expected to be early adopters of an  emerging technology that
promises to improve Internet  security by preventing hackers from
redirecting Web traffic  to bogus sites.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-1792.html

* Survey: Government Can't Be Trusted With Data
October 19th, 2000

A survey by Information Technology Association of America found that
people don't trust the U.S. government to secure their private
information.  Most of the 1,000 adults surveyed by phone about their
comfort with the government's ability to safeguard their personal
data said businesses are more trustworthy.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-1787.html

* Carnivore: The truth is worse than you thought
October 18th, 2000

Carnivore, the FBI's controversial email snooping program, is part
of covert surveillance triad known inside the bureau as the
"DragonWare Suite", according to recently declassified documents.
The documents also outline how the DragonWare  Suite is more than
simply an email snooping program: it's capable of reconstructing the
Web surfing trail of someone under  investigation.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-1780.html

* Panel: Open Source security needs to be priority
October 17th, 2000

Open Source systems aren't inherently more secure than propriety
systems  unless the designers make security a priority, according to
several security  experts speaking at a conference Monday. Panel
moderator Peter G. Neumann, from SRI International, argued that Open
Source development, which he called "open box," presents both
opportunities of  "many eyes" finding software bugs that compromise
security, and a challenge  when some of those eyes aren't friendly.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-1773.html

* An interview with the NSA
October 17th, 2000

This 1999 article describes the account of one person going for a job
interview for the National Security Administration. Good reading.
"One striking thing about the interviews was that everybody I talked
with knew very well what was on  my resume and even in my transcripts
I've never had that happen before. The process is all very
humanely organized and well explained in advance.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-1775.html