Information Security News mailing list archives

Bloody Hell! Chicago Cabbies Fail Test

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:48:55 -0500

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001023/od/taxis_dc_1.html

[Just posting this for those of you coming here to Chicago for the
27th Annual Computer Security Conference at the Chicago Hilton &
Towers. I'll be more than happy to recommend limousine services to
parties via private e-mail! :)   -WK]

Monday October 23 9:54 AM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Bloody hell! Chicago's taxi drivers failed
miserably on a test of city knowledge inspired by the efficiency of
the famous London cabs.

It all started when the Chicago city official responsible for testing
cab drivers, Caroline Shoenberger, visited London and was so impressed
with the knowledge of the city's cab drivers she vowed to copy the
best of London in the third largest U.S. city.

A new and tougher written knowledge test introduced in Chicago this
month has shaken up the locals.

``The passage rate fell to below 20 percent,'' Shoenberger told
Reuters on Friday. ``On one day no one passed it.''

Shoenberger allowed a few aspiring drivers a fourth shot at taking the
test -- three times is supposed to be the limit. The test consists of
about 60 multiple choice questions on routes around the city. Chicago
also requires 5 1/2 days of training school for potential cab drivers,
far less than the years it can take to become a London taxi driver.

``We don't want to make it impossible to become a driver,'' she said.
``My job is to make sure a cab driver knows his way around the city.''

Despite some grumbling, Schoenberger is sticking with the city's
tougher test and said standards will be gradually raised because she
is convinced a detailed knowledge of the city is what makes London
cabbies great.

Her advice to aspiring Chicago cabbies before they take the test:
``Get in your car ... and drive the routes.''

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC