Information Security News mailing list archives

Just a few quickies...

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:12:15 -0600

Well I have a bunch of little things here that were collecting dust on
the desktop that I'm stuffing into one message...

Today is Saturday, Nov. 11, the 316th day of 2000. There are 50 days
left in the year. This is Veterans Day in the United States;
Remembrance Day in Canada.

If you see a veteran out today, (Or any day for that matter) Stop them
and thank them for their service to their country!

Well I try not to watch too much television, Short of the regular
cable feed of CNN in the office, (The Dish on the roof is next) There
aren't too many televison shows that really catch my eye, But lately I
have been watching Level 9 which had its third episode on tonight.

Level 9 for those of you that have their faces buried in BugTraq and
ISN postings over the TV Guide is a televison show on high-tech crime
on the Internet with a NIPC like (In more ways than one!) FBI computer
crime squad with a few government hacker types and one on parole
working for the group.

Daily Variety has been called Level 9 an intriguing premise that
combines the proven cop show formula with the endless possibilities of
the Internet, and a slick action thriller that brings to mind the
original "Mission Impossible" series.

While the soap operas during the day are doing campy shows with
hackers, virus, and breeching the firewall, Level 9 was created,
written, and produced by Michael Connelly and his partner Josh Meyer
and its getting better and better with every show, Something worth
programing the Tivo for.  :)

Couple links to play around with...

http://www.upn.com/shows/levelnine/airdis.html
http://www.michaelconnelly.com/
http://www.michaelconnelly.com/discus/messages/48/48.html?FridayNovember1020000340pm

(This last one is the message board for Michael Connelly's website,
Pay close attention to the remarks in red, and comments from none
other than Justin Petersen - Agent Steal)

The Standard has a wrap-up of the Israeli-Palestinian cyber-war with
about eight odd stories writing about the conflict that I didn't feel
like posting here, But here is the URL and you all can look at it if
you like.

http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,20098,00.html

I have also decided that if there is a defacement listed in a news
story that we will add a link to the defacement on Attrition at the
top or bottom of the article.

Attrition has several defacement mailing lists, A couple of the house
favorites are the Defaced Summary, This is a low traffic mail list to
announce all publicly defaced domains on a given day. To subscribe to
Defaced-Summary, send mail to majordomo () attrition org with "subscribe
defaced-summary" in the BODY of the mail.

I am also are subscribed to the Defaced GM list which is a low traffic
mail list to announce all publicly defaced government and military
domains on a given day. To subscribe to Defaced-GM, send mail to
majordomo () attrition org with "subscribe defaced-gm"  in the BODY of
the mail.

Finally, There's the Defaced Alpha, This is a low traffic mail list to
announce via alpha-numeric pagers, all publicly defaced government and
military domains on a given day. To subscribe to Defaced-Alpha, send
mail to majordomo () attrition org with "subscribe defaced-alpha" in the
BODY of the mail.

A little extra bit of information should be looked at on the Attrition
webpage if you're interested in this list.

http://www.attrition.org/security/defaced-a.html

I should note that I am a big fan of the Defaced Alpha list,
Especially when talking security to clients or as its happened in the
past for me, Teaching a class on information security and having an
alert on my moblie e-mail of some .mil site's security being
compromised hits really close to home that you have to be completely
diligent with your own organizations security otherwise someone with a
different agenda than you Will.

Finally, for a good laugh, Call 800.888.3999, Listen to all the
prompts and pay attention to #7.

Cheers!

William Knowles
isn () c4i org

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".