Information Security News mailing list archives

DOD database to fight cybercrime

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 02:39:25 -0600

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/1030/web-data-11-02-00.asp

BY George I. Seffers
11/02/2000

The Defense Department is on the verge of completing a common database
to aid the defense and intelligence communities in battling
cybercrime, according to the new commander of the Pentagons Joint Task
Force for Computer Network Defense.

The database will enable those involved in computer emergency response
across DOD, the intelligence agencies and the FBI to share information
critical to protecting their networks against intruders.

The database is in the final stages of development and likely will be
"an operational reality" in early 2001, said Maj. Gen. James Bryan,
who commands the JTF-CND.

"Having the ability to create a common database and to share that
database allows us to take advantage of modern Web techniques in
regard to management, reporting and alerting," said Bryan, who also
serves as the vice director of the Defense Information Systems Agency.

One of the main benefits, according to Bryan, is that the department
will be able to collect data on cyberattacks or attempted attacks,
categorize them and better understand them.

"Storing them in a database that can be shared means we can profile
the threats so that we can see patterns of activity that will allow us
to do a much better job of understanding and describing whats going on
and taking the proper actions to counter it," Bryan said.

"Also, I think a shared database allows people to do what humans do
best, and that is to share ideas," he said. "The really qualified
people in this computer network warfare business are a fairly small
community of experts, and this database will provide them a forum and
opportunity not only to share data but to share ideas as well."

The database is only one of several initiatives the task force is
undertaking to build its arsenal of cyberwarfare weaponry. Others
include developing automated technologies for monitoring the network,
reporting intrusion events and improving response time.

"Weve got to develop more real-time intrusion detection and ways of
reporting without becoming intrusive ourselves," Bryan said. "Were
developing technology that will allow us to automatically sense
whether our firewalls have the right configuration within them or
whether the antivirus updates are in fact up to date."

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".