Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Hacking With a Conscience Is a New Trend

From: M ixter <mixter () 2XS CO IL>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:18:46 +0200

It was interesting to hear some news about the topic, but I think that
article didn't quite get the meaning of "hacktivism". Hacktivism was
first portrayed as a malicious activity by the FBI, then mass media
followed. Obviously, the term hacktivism is derived from activism. Now,
think. Does activism mean engaging in any arbitrary activity with a
political justification? No. Activism is supposed to be creative, and as
far as I'm concerned, so is hacktivism. Anti-Censorship initiatives, like
Freenet, are valid forms of hacktivism for me, as they have to do with
hacking (as in innovative programming), but comparing those to web defacers
and packet monkeys justifying their actions with political motivation for
arbitrary higher causes (a trend that has been along a while among defacers),
and often attacking innocent parties seems to totally miss that definition.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".