Information Security News mailing list archives

EDS devises package to pre-empt hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:23:04 -0600

Forwarded By: Fred Villella <fred () newdimensions net>

[This is such bullsh*t, Saturday we have ISS predicting Christmas DDoS
attacks and not saying where its coming from, & now EDS saying that it
knew about DDoS attacks but didn't say anything at the time.  -WK]

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/45/ns-19144.html

Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:30:27 GMT
Toby Wolpe, IT Week

Big-mouthed hackers to come a cropper

Services giant EDS last week said it knew about recent
denial-of-service attacks two months before they happened, and had
even identified the tools the crackers were planning to use.

Speaking in Las Vegas before the launch of new EDS Internet security
services, vice-president for global information assurance Shakil
Kidwai said the company was now offering its anti-hacker intelligence
as part of a package of security measures.

He described how EDS security analysts collected information from
22,000 sources, including chat rooms. "This was all happening in the
chatrooms. All hackers are ego-centric people. When they do something
they want to [brag about] it," said Kidwai. "That's how we managed to
tell our clients two months in advance that this was going to happen."

EDS announced its security plans together with a set of Internet
services, including mobile solutions, an interactive agency, customer
relationship management and network services.

EDS's Internet services could appeal to conservative companies looking
for the reassurance of dealing with a large, established organisation.

As well as security intelligence, EDS launched CyberForensics, a
service to help organisations investigate attacks and the extent of
damage to data and systems.

Kidwai believes this type of service has already proved its worth in
the financial sector. "Financial firms don't want to go to the police
when they are attacked. They're worried because of the competitive
nature of their business," he said. "We send in a search-and-recovery
team and a forensics team to secure the environment - just like a
crime scene."

Data can be sent to a laboratory to evaluate how an attack was
conducted, and by whom.

Other EDS Internet security announcements include smartcard-based
secure digital communications and Internet security training.

"We need to train several thousand people a year in security. So we
are retooling and retraining our workforce. Now we're going to start
offering that [training] to our clients," said Kidwai.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".