Information Security News mailing list archives

FEMAs Love potion

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 18:13:47 -0500

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0501/web-fema-05-04-00.asp

BY Dan Caterinicchia
05/05/2000

The Federal Emergency Management Agencys remedy for the "ILOVEYOU"
virus running rampant worldwide was to limit the size of incoming and
outgoing e-mail messages at the agencys national firewall.

G. Clay Hollister, FEMAs chief information officer, said being aware
of the problem early and building that quick fix into the firewall
helped limit the severity of the virus effect on the agency.

"Our enterprise security manager and national e-mail administrator
learned about it last night, and the first message with it arrived at
about 8:30 this morning," Hollister said. "At 8:32 a.m., a throttle
was built into our national firewall that limited any messages in or
out to 10K...since they knew the message itself was about 15K."

Hollister said FEMA only had to shut down one of its 20 exchange
servers, which happened at 8:47 a.m., and the server was back up and
running at 9:27 a.m. He said the firewall limits were taken off by
1:30 p.m., and only 145 machines were affected out of the agencys more
than 3,000 machines nationwide.

FEMA used a patch from Symantec Corp., which the agency downloaded at
about 10 a.m. The patch encapsulates the infected files so that even
the 145 infected machines are still operational, Hollister said.

"The smartest thing they did, and what made all the difference, was
putting that throttle in our national firewall at Mount Weather,
[Berryville, Va.,]" he said. "It stopped it from propagating in or
out."