Information Security News mailing list archives

Malaysian ISP Admits 'Human Error' In Security Fiasco

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:31:23 -0500

http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/00/149718.html

By Julian Matthews, Newsbytes
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA,
28 May 2000, 10:22 PM CST

Malaysian Government-funded research corporation and Internet service
operator Mimos Berhad admits that a staff member carelessly placed a
large number of confidential company files on a publicly accessible
Internet server.

Mimos Chief Operating Officer Dr Mohamed Awang-Lah said in an e-mail
response to Newsbytes on Sunday that the incident was the result of
"human error" and "carelessness."

"One of our staff created a directory on a server and accidentally
made it publicly accessible. The staff member uploaded the files for
back-up purposes without taking adequate measures to protect them," he
said.

Dr Mohamed said "appropriate action" will be taken against the errant
staff member but declined to say whether this would result in her
dismissal.

"Mimos regrets the careless placement of such documents in a public
server. But we wish to reiterate that the incident did not involve any
breach, intrusion or compromise on Mimos' servers or networks," he
said.

[...]