Information Security News mailing list archives

Energy asking for millions for security

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:30:25 -0500

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0612/web-funding-06-14-00.asp

BY Judi Hasson
06/14/2000

The Energy Department is seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in
the fiscal 2001 budget to dramatically increase security at its
defense facilities.

Even before the latest breach of security was disclosed at Los Alamos
National Laboratory, chief information officer John Gilligan said the
request was part of the appropriations process to make major security
improvements at strategic locations.

Among the facilities he would like to upgrade are Los Alamos and
Sandia in New Mexico and the national laboratory in Rome, N.Y.

In an interview, Gilligan said the exact amount of the request is
currently classified, but it is not part of the so-called "black
budget" for security measures. He said the money would be used for
measures such as a secure Internet link between DOE headquarters and
the field and secure video for teleconferences.

At the House Commerce Committees Oversight and Investigations
Subcommittee, committee members expressed dismay that not enough money
had been allocated for security at DOE in the wake of last years spy
scandal involving scientist Wen Ho Lee.

Eugene E. Habiger, director of the DOEs Office of Security and
Emergency Operations, acknowledged that more money and better
organization is needed to combat the problem.

"If we had received adequate funding, our performance would have been
better," he told the panel.

ISN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".