Information Security News mailing list archives

CD Universe evidence compromised

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:13:35 -0500

http://www.msnbc.com/news/417406.asp?cp1=1

[I like editing MSNBC stories for ISN as much as I like root-canal
therapy without Novicane & Nitrous Oxide, So I'm going to use the
blurb from Space Rogue's excellent Hacker News Network:
http://www.hackernews.com  -WK]

The thief who stole credit card numbers from CD Universe is still at
large but even if tracked down it is unlikely he could be prosecuted.
The evidence collected in the case was not handled properly. Chain of
custody was broken. Network Associates, Kroll OGara and Infowar.com
were all involved in the investigation of CD Universe's network. This
case highlights the need to do proper computer foresnics. A poor job
is useless.