Information Security News mailing list archives

Etisalat Vows to Prosecute Internet Hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:39:07 -0500

http://news.excite.com/news/r/000628/05/net-emirates-hacker-dc

Updated 5:25 AM ET June 28, 2000

DUBAI (Reuters) - United Arab Emirates telecoms firm Etisalat has
vowed to prosecute hackers into the country's Internet system and
described as "baseless" lawsuits by a Briton alleged to have disrupted
online services earlier this month.

"It is appalling to think that any of these 'hackers' can infiltrate a
computer security system and cause absolute chaos with direct economic
consequences," Etisalat's lawyer, Hamad Kadfoor al-Mehairi, said in a
statement received by Reuters on Wednesday.

"We have a duty at Etisalat and the government of the UAE to safeguard
the confidentiality of our customers to ensure complete trust in the
system. We will not hesitate in prosecuting anyone who abuses the
system," he added.

Lee Alan Ashurst, 21, of Manchester, suspected by Etisalat officials
of hacking and blamed for disruption experienced by some local
Internet subscribers earlier this month, has denied the accusations
and said he had filed lawsuits for defamation and damages against
Etisalat.

"I have no idea what they (Etisalat) are talking about, I am being
used as a scapegoat," Ashurst told a news conference on Monday.

"I have lost my job, my company car and apartment as a result of these
accusations and I am suing Etisalat for defamation and damages," he
added.

Mehairi said Etisalat viewed the lawsuit as "baseless and simply a
diversionary tactic."

Mehairi said hacking into the Internet system endangered electronic
commerce in the UAE and was punishable under the law by up to ten
years in jail.

Dubai is trying to build on its reputation as a regional trading hub
to attract international information technology firms to set up bases
at a $272 million free trade zone for electronic commerce scheduled to
open later this year.

Local media on Monday quoted Dubai's Attorney General Ibrahim abu
Melha as saying a committee of computer experts was looking into the
case and would examine statements from both Etisalat and Ashurst.

"Once the technical report is made public, the seriousness of the
crime would be obvious. Although many of the younger generation view
the Internet as a challenging game or pastime, we have to protect the
commercial interest of the United Arab Emirates," Mehairi said.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".