Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Hackers are common criminals

From: chris () RITC CO UK
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:58:42 +0100

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, William Knowles wrote:

A hack attack on a Word or Outlook user is surely criminal trespass on
their (electronic) property in exactly the same way it is if a burglar
breaks into their house. It doesn't matter how easy or hard it is -
it's still wrong.

This article subtly defies its own point in this paragraph. True, most
crackers who break into systems are trespassing on other peoples' property
- but as long as they don't do any damage, they're just trespassing. So
why do crackers get longer jail terms than rapists, when trespassing is a
very minor offence? Perhaps because we're scared of their knowledge and
skills?

Very few people benefit from being locked away in prison - the vast
majority learn "skills" from the other inmates which they go on to
practice by reoffending when they leave, and the vast majority become
enemies of the justice system, seeing their punishment as unfair. Although
in many cases this is simply their prejudiced view,the fact that crackers
are so ridiculously over-punished makes their view correct - they are
victims of a justice system which doesn't understand them and certainly
isn't fair. Convicted crackers who are sent to prison are as likely to
reoffend as anyone else, but if they were given a small fine they might
learn the error of their ways and use their skills more productively.

I believe that we should stop using fear, uncertainty and doubt as the
basis of our judicial systems and give these people the punishment they
deserve - perhaps a fine and some community service. A prison sentence
sends the wrong message. You know how dogs can smell fear? Crackers can
too.

Ciao, Chris.
 / __// / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris () ritc co uk> | Phone: 01223 503 190 |
/ (_ / ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Unix Systems & Network Engineer | RITC (Cambridge) Ltd |
\ _//_/_/_//_/___/ +-- Perl/C/Web/Java Programming --+ Cambridge CB3 0DG UK |

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".