Information Security News mailing list archives

RedHotAnt calls in Old Bill over hack attack

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 01:02:09 -0500

By: Tim Richardson

Embattled ISP, RedHotAnt, has admitted that a hacker did breach site
security gaining access to names, addresses, passwords and credit card
details of some 24,000 subscribers.

In an "urgent" email alert issued yesterday the Kent-based ISP said it
was "aware of this serious breach and [was] working closely with all
the concerned parties".

It has also informed Kent County Constabulary.

The statement said: "We would like to bring your attention to the
recent article in the Sunday Times of 25th June 2000 concerning a
breach of our security. Yes, we were aware of this serious breach and
are working closely with all the concerned parties."

It continued: "Due to the gravity of this situation we have stepped up
all security matters and have taken the additional step of ordering a
full security audit by an external group of security consultants who
shall ensure on going monitoring and testing on all security matters."

[...]

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".