Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Who gets your trust? (fwd)

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:25:07 -0700

Reply From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () sover net>

They
just wanted to set up a root account with a different environment. That's
not hacking, right? Wrong. Their intention did not matter -- the security
of the system has been bypassed.

Hummm, so I guess everyone who has ever setup a dedicated account for
performing back-ups is now a hacker, right? ;)

I also take issue with the statement "intention did not matter". Intent is
everything, otherwise I would consider every user who has accidentally
deleted a file a destructive anarchist. There is a big difference between
stupidity and malicious intent.

Also, where does this author get off making the blanket statement that
setting up an alternate account with god rights is bypassing the system
security??? I see, its better to have everyone logon at the console as
Admin so you have no traceability as to who does what with the account.
At least by elevating privileges for an admin's personal account you have
some tracability as to what they where doing. In the NT & NetWare world I
personally like to completely disable the Admin account so support people
are forced to use their own accounts (and thus are tracked and logged). So
how is this bypassing security???

This article discusses how administrative privileges can be abused and
suggests some methods for countering that abuse.

IMHO this sounds like "you don't have to trust your admins, just use these
tools". So who besides the networking staff has the skill set to actually
run these tools? Oh ya, and if the Admins have god rights what's to stop
them from disabling the tools, humm? Either you trust these people or you
do not. If you don't replace them.

I know, you can bring in third party consultants to install the tools!  Oh
wait, how do you know you can trust them either? ;)

It is not meant to imply
that every administrator abuses privileges or has malicious intent -- just
that you shouldn't assume anything.

I've also seen HR people reviewing 401K statements to estimate an
employee's worth and accounting people digging to find out who makes more
than they do. What's your point? *Anyone* with access to information or
resources is capable of abusing their authority. It has nothing to do with
whether they run the network or not.

Cheers,
Chris