Information Security News mailing list archives

Reno urges new network to fight Internet crime

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:15:45 -0700

Forwarded From: darek.milewski () us pwcglobal com

Reno urges new network to fight Internet crime
MARTHA MENDOZA, AP Business Writer
Tuesday, January 11, 2000

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2000/01/11/state0100EST0136.DTL&type=tech_article

(01-11) 01:00 EST STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Cyberfraud. Hacking.
E-kiddyporn.  These new crimes, a menacing side effect of the Internet
age, require creation of a national computer network that would allow law
enforcement to swoop across jurisdictions and catch cybercriminals in the
act, according to Attorney General Janet Reno.

``The Internet is indeed a splendid tool of wonder, but there is a dark
side of hacking, crashing networks and viruses that we absolutely must
address,'' Reno told several hundred members of the National Association
of Attorneys General, gathered at Stanford University on Monday.

Reno rolled out details of what she called ``LawNet,'' an online law
enforcement agency that could cross local, state and even international
borders with warrants, subpoenas and requests for information.

She said the group, led by an around-the-clock team of computer and law
enforcement experts, should be able to work quickly and without the red
tape that can slow investigations.

``I envision a network that extends from local detectives to the FBI to
investigators abroad,'' said Reno.

A key part of LawNet would be regional forensic computer laboratories
where files and data could be shared. In addition, she said, LawNet could
coordinate the sharing of expensive technological devices between
agencies.

She also proposed a new interstate compact to ensure enforcement of
out-of-state subpoenas and warrants stemming from Internet investigations.

The growth in ecommerce is creating opportunities for cybercrime. An FBI
survey of Fortune 500 companies found 62 percent reported computer
security breaches during the past year, she said.

The LawNet proposal partially addresses a directive President Clinton
issued last year to encourage law enforcement and crucial industries in
the country to set up information-sharing networks.

Attorneys at the conference responded to the LawNet proposal with a
standing ovation and said they need new tools.

``I'm very enthusiastic about this plan to get us all together,'' said
California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, adding that jurisdictional
issues will be particularly important to decide. ``There are a lot of
questions about which law applies, and even who is going to enforce that
law.''

Reno said LawNet would attempt to handle many of those jurisdictional
questions.

The network also would focus on privacy issues, protecting consumers from
invasions like the CD Universe extortion case, Reno said. In that
instance, a hacker stole credit card numbers from the Internet music
retailer and posted them on a Web site after CD Universe refused to pay
the hacker $100,000.

``It is perhaps not Big Brother we should be worried about, but big
browser,'' said New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. ``We need to be
fearful that the aggregation of information, if it is misused, is very
terrifying.''

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM