Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers make house calls, experts remind computer users

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 03:14:38 -0600

http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500163463-500206598-500944169-0,00.html

NEW YORK (February 4, 2000 10:44 a.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) -
Home computer users who think hacking is just a threat to government
and corporate networks need to realize that the Internet puts them at
risk of being invaded by computer predators, too, security experts
say.

Concern about home security grew Thursday following disclosure that
former CIA Director John Deutch stored sensitive national security
secrets on a home computer connected to the Internet.

"He certainly should have known better," said Cormac Foster, who
monitors security issues for Internet research firm Jupiter
Communications. "If your business is protecting the security of the
country, one would hope you wouldn't make a mistake like that."

Elias Levy, chief technology officer for SecurityFocus.com, said
hackers often target computers randomly, to obtain financial
information or play a prank. But sometimes they access home machines
from which they launch attacks on companies.

"It comes down to people thinking, I don't have anything important on
my computer, so why would somebody want to get me," Levy said.

A hacker can gain access to a home computer in many ways.

If a sharing option is turned on, outsiders could take advantage of
that to delete or steal files. Through e-mail, hackers could send
viruses and other malicious programs that will give them access to
sensitive documents.

The risks are greater with high-speed connections such as cable modems
- those computers are always connected to the Internet.

But even standard, dial-up users are vulnerable. Hackers have tools
that can automatically scan the Web looking for computers with
security holes.

"If I'm a burglar, I have to rattle each door in the neighborhood
until I find one that's unlocked," said Tom Powledge, senior product
manager for Norton Internet Security software. A hacker with the right
scanning tools "can rattle hundreds of doors at once."

Once in, a hacker can seize control of the computer, even stealing
credit card numbers or top-secret materials.

CIA Director George Tenet said he has no evidence that foreign enemies
hacked into Deutch's computer but acknowledged there is no way to tell
for sure.

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM