Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Who Are These Jerks, Anyway?

From: Johnathan Meehan <jmeehan () EASYNET CO UK>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:22:13 +0100

Greg said...
You can't make information and knowledge illegal.
When you do, you take away others rights to know.
Your analogy is a crock also.
That's like saying stop selling guns because druggies and kids steal
them and use them in crimes.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

I think that you missed the point in my reply. I did not argue that the
information or knowledge should be made illegal. What I argued was simply
that providing "point and click" tools for idiot teenagers to use is plainly
wrong. By and large, they don't know what is happening and they do not stand
a hope in hell or writing a similar tool - the thing just works for their
childish little games. Please read the reply I sent again. It is the
difference describing the manufacture of a weapon, and giving one ready
made. The people bright enough to make the thing, are not the people we need
to worry about. The people we should worry about, are the people who did not
work to attain the knowledge or understanding of it - they feel no
responsibility, because they do not understand exactly what they are doing.
Knowledge is power, but a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

As for the analogy, remember that we think of guns differently here in
Europe. Regardless, are you seriously trying to suggest that the tools
implemented were designed for anything other than offensive action? So,
then, WinNuke is a tool for defence as well, I suppose? You're stretching
your point here...

Greg continued...
Wake up...
Secure your sites....
Stop your bitching about "kids" beating on you, and turn your anger
towards the vendors of such lame software that they can be hacked by
10 year olds.

Secure /our/ sites? I refer you again to the reply and the fact that such
attacks as were discussed rely upon the weaknesses of other sites. That
leads on to the question I raised about how we in the community could help.
I think you have missed the point somewhat here, Greg.

Regards,

Johnathan Meehan

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM