Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers a no-show at protest over DVD decryption hoo-ha

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:49:27 -0600

http://www.digitalmass.com/columns/software/0207.html

The angry hackers never showed up -- not at their appointed meeting
place at the Prudential Center food court, nor out in front of the
Cheri Theater in downtown Boston, where I'd hoped to see them handing
out their protest leaflets.

Too bad; especially their not being at the Cheri. I'd have enjoyed the
looks of bewilderment from the teens that stood three-deep, smoking
illegal Marlboros as they waited for the start of Scream 3.

Scarcely any of the kids would have had the slightest idea what the
protest was about, and probably still wouldn't have understood, even
after patient explanation.

"You want to watch movies? Yeah, me too, man. On your computer? Cool
... Linux? What's that? And what's it got to do with movies, anyway?"

Good question, but I doubt your average teen filmgoer would stay for
an answer. They're probably not as insatiably curious as you guys.

[...]