Information Security News mailing list archives

Russian virus busters hacked in Brazil

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:35:57 -0600

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1115338

By Jo Ticehurst
December 12, 2000

Russian antivirus company Kaspersky was red faced today after the
discovery of a hack attack on what appears to be one of its corporate
websites.

The incident happened less than a month after fellow antivirus firm
Network Associates became the victim of a hack attack after two of its
Brazilian websites were vandalised by a group of crackers called
Insanity Zine Corp.

The Kaspersky attack, which took place on Monday and was also directed
at a website in Brazil, was carried out by a hacker called Furia.br
who left a pornographic image on the site.

A spokesman for Kaspersky told vnunet.com that the site is not
connected to the company. But he did admit that the site is hosted by
a partner of Kaspersky that sells the firm's software in Brazil.

"I can't get in touch with the partners in Brazil who host this site
due to the time difference. We do have an agreement with a man out
there whose company sells our software in Brazil, but not as
Kaspersky. He is supposed to sell it through his own company name,
Protagon Seguranca," he said.

However, both Kaspersky's corporate website, www.kaspersky.com, and
the Brazilian sites www.viruslist.com.br and www.kaspersky.com.br are
identical in every way except for the language.

Paul Rogers, network security analyst at security consultancy MIS,
said: "It amounts to corporate embarrassment, which can be very costly
within the marketplace. Companies which are global should maintain
common security policies to ensure their websites and networks stay
secure."

"Companies with satellite offices not all within their core central
system run the risk of them being forgotten about and coming back to
haunt them," he added.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".