Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Police outgunned by cybercriminals

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root () rgfsparc cr usgs gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:45:21 -0600

At a time when law enforcement agencies are winning the war against
violent crime, they seem to be losing the war against cybercrime. The
problem: Law enforcement groups from the FBI down to local police
forces are lagging in the training and ability to combat this new form
of criminal activity.

I volunteer a fair amount of time to the tasks of educating law
enforcement personnel and assisting them in their computer security-related
investigations. I'm certain that many others in my field do the same.
I believe this to be one of the most practical ways that we in the
computer security profession can help to curb the cybercrime threat,
at least until LE budgetary allotments more closely reflect actual needs.

I encourage any and all information security professionals to
offer to assist local law enforcement in the computer crimes arena.
While your help may not be accepted for a variety of reasons, you at
least will have put forth the effort. It's vitally important in this
increasingly hostile Internet environment that all 'white hats'
band together in a spirit of cooperation.  Any 'us' vs. 'them' attitude
where law enforcement is concerned can only strengthen the 'dark side.'

Sorry if this sounds like a halftime pep talk, but the other side scored
a lot of points in the first half; it's time for us to come from behind...

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP