Information Security News mailing list archives

Thailand's Daily News Web Site Hacked

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:06:05 -0600

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/00/159816.html

By IT Reporters, The Nation
BANGKOK, THAILAND,
27 Dec 2000, 10:04 PM CST

The Web site of the Daily News newspaper was hacked late on Tuesday
night, the third such break-in in recent years, its webmaster said
today. No information was destroyed or altered.

Webmaster Veeraphan Tomeebun said he felt lucky that the hacker, who
called himself "bigkid," only changed the index page of the Web site.
Vital information concerning user names and passwords to the server
was not changed.

The webmaster said he thought the hacker was likely to be a Thai who
merely wanted to show off his craft by selecting the
www.dailynews.co.th site as his target.

"But I will be unsparing in my criticism of him, even though he didn't
touch any information inside," he said.

The hacking took place shortly after Tuesday midnight and the damage
was repaired within an hour of the crime being detected. Veeraphan
said he knew the site was attacked at night on all three occasions
because the site is updated early in the morning. The information left
by "bigkid" - who also posted his e-mail address registered with
www.cyberdude.com, included a remark on the page's title bar that
"Thai Rath is better."

But Veeraphan said he believed the rival newspaper had nothing to do
with the crime. The webmaster said he had contacted the first hacker,
who also left his e-mail address, after the attack a few years ago to
ask for an explanation.

In a reply, the hacker said: "If you hire me, I can protect your site
from hacker attacks. As a Thai, I don't want to see a local site like
yours attacked by foreign hackers."

Exchange Rate: $1 = 42.20 baht

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".