Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - December 25th 2000

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 15:18:15 -0500

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  December 25, 2000                         Volume 1, Number 34n     |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

We at LinuxSecurity.com would like to wish everyone a happy and safe
holiday season.  Although many of you are probably on vacation, you
may want to check out a few of this weeks articles.  "System Security"
(by our own Dave Wreski), "Making Red Hat Secure," and "Building blocks
of Linux packet filtering in the 2.2 kernel" are among the best.

Unfortunately, a large number of advisories were released this week.
Many of you are taking time off for the holiday.  We advise that you
spend a little extra time ensuring that your systems are ready for a
long stable weekend.   This week,advisories were released for ed,
stunnel, bitchx, zope, nano, slocate, procps, oops, halflifeserver,
ethereal, netscape, pam, jpilot, rp-pppoe, kerberised telnetd, ftpd,
gnupg, mysql, and tcsh.  The vendors include Conectiva, Debian,
FreeBSD, Mandrake, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Red Hat, and Trustix.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-2169.html

FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte
Are you planning your Web Server Security? Click here to get a
FREE Thawte Apache SSL guide and find the answers to all your
Apache SSL security issues:
<http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=n074917540018000>

HTML Version available:
<http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html>

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* System Security
December 22nd, 2000

Back in the old days security was a pretty straight-forward affair.
If you wanted to secure something, you just kept buying locks and
alarm systems until you felt secure. Back then, it actually took a
good deal of planning and physical effort for someone to break into
your business, your home, or anything else that had been "secured."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2177.html

* Making Red Hat Secure
December 21st, 2000

In this article I will explain how to make your Linux box secure by
taking basic security measures. This article will enable anybody to
tighten the security of a redhat Linux box.  Always set a password on
BIOS to disallow booting from floppy by changing the BIOS settings.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2166.html

* Building blocks of Linux packet filtering in the 2.2 kernel
December 19th, 2000

Scott Thomason writes: "In this article, I discuss the origin and
basic structure of IP in enough detail to continue on with an
exploration of the fundamentals of packet filtering firewalls. An
extensive sample firewall showing the use of the Linux kernel 2.2
sysctl interface, anti-spoofing techniques, chains, and selective
ICMP filtering is included."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2149.html

* Securing the Linux Environment Part One: Installation Issues
December 19th, 2000

Nearly two years ago, I walked into a computer store and asked a
salesperson if they had any Linux distributions in stock. I was
looking for the latest Red Hat or Caldera distribution. The
salesperson paused and looked at me with a blank stare.  "Do you mean
a Lenox heating/refrigeration unit?" he asked.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2150.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Firewalls Becoming Ineffective, Experts Say
December 23rd, 2000

While firewall vendors espouse the virtues or their security
solutions, others believe that even the most technologically advanced
firewall can't offer companies all of the protection they need to
ensure that data is safe from both external and internal threats.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2178.html

* Social engineering simulations
December 22nd, 2000

A question that often arises when planning vulnerability analysis is
whether "social engineering" techniques should be used. My consistent
answer is no - not unless you are prepared to do an awful lot of work
before trying it.  Vulnerability analysis is a useful approach to
measuring the success of information security policies.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2173.html

* Security patch distribution - it's trojan time
December 21st, 2000

The way operating system vendors issue security patches is insecure,
in many cases, and could let crackers exploit this to trick users
into loading trojan horses onto their systems. Security firm
BindView, whose Razor team of security researchers completed the
research, questioned 27 different vendors of commonly used products
on whether patches are accompanied by digital signatures or other
forms of cryptographic authentication.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2164.html

* Vulnerabilities in Operating-System Patch Distribution
December 20th, 2000

In this research project, BindView Corporation has studied the
processes by which 27 operating-system vendors distribute security
patches. The report focuses on vulnerabilities in these processes,
with the hope that customers can use the information to assess the
adequacy of the processes used by their own vendors, in both an
absolute and comparative sense.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-2160.html

* Net Security, Flawed
December 20th, 2000

SSL and SSH have emerged, with other protocols, to provide
authentication methods using a public key infrastructure.  These
protocols were developed to protect large amounts of  network traffic
from online shopping to financial transactions with online banks.
But are the fundamental flaws of these protocols open to abuse, now
that products exist to exploit these cracks in security?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2159.html

* Hackers caught in security 'honeypot'
December 19th, 2000

Security pros use HoneyNet Project to learn  tricks of the hacking
trade --and raise  corporate awareness. When a group of suspected
Pakistani hackers  broke into a U.S.-based computer system in June,
they thought they had found a vulnerable network  to use as an
anonymous launching pad to attack  Web sites across India.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-2151.html

+------------------------+
| Cryptography News:     |
+------------------------+

* Laptop encryption and international travel
December 21st, 2000

The restrictions on using PC encryption products are far more lenient
than those on importing software or hardware encryption for
distribution or resale. In France, for example, the law states that
upon entry to the country, travelers must register their decryption
keys with "authorities." .

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2165.html

* Crypto-Gram December
December 18th, 2000

Crypto-Gram is a free monthly newsletter providing summaries,
analyses, insights, and commentaries on computer security and
cryptography. This month Bruce provides his thoughts on the problems
with voting and technology, IBMs new crypto algorithm, Digital
Safe-Deposit Boxes, and the latest news summary. Excellent read, as
always.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2137.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* NSA Releases High Security Version Of Linux
December 22nd, 2000

"The NSA folks just recently got permission to make their stuff
available on the Web. It's just a proof of concept, and no doubt a
lot of changes will need to made before people will accept
integrating it into the kernel, but they have released a working
system based on Linux 2.2 and RedHat 6.1. So it's definitely worth a
look, and in fact some folks with specialized needs might find it
useful, even though it's a prototype."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-2170.html

* 25 Ways to make your webserver more secure
December 18th, 2000

25 Ways to make your webserver more secure is a simple and short text
that contains some principles to get a real world secure server.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-2136.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* Learn to think like your attacker
December 19th, 2000

Paring down your network services isn't the only way to protect your
systems against attacks: port scanning can also be an effective tool.
In this  month's Building Blocks of Security, Sandra Henry-Stocker
shows you  how to stay one step ahead of your enemy. Minimizing
services is just the beginning of adopting a defensive posture,
however.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-2148.html

* Bush Seen Likely to Overhaul E-Security
December 19th, 2000

As George W. Bush strides toward the  White House, national security
experts are  preparing for what could be a major  change in the way
the government and the private sector organize to defend against
cyber-attacks.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2155.html

* Port scans are legal
December 18th, 2000

A tiff between two IT contractors that spiralled into federal court
ended last month  with a US district court ruling in Georgia that
port scans of a network  do not damage it, in reference to a section
of the anti-hacking laws  that allows victims of cyber attack to sue
an attacker.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2138.html