Information Security News mailing list archives

Made-in-China Firewall Challenges Global Hackers

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:43:47 -0500

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200008/23/eng20000823_48861.html

Wednesday, August 23, 2000, updated at 22:09(GMT+8)

Noted Chinese consumer electronics production company, Hisense, has
challenged hackers all over the world to hack a server equipped with
its newly developed firewall products before September 1 to win
500,000 yuan.

The company has set up a large screen in front of a major department
store in Beijing, showing the homepage of the protected server and the
number and sources of hackers.

Hackers would be awarded with the money if they could hack the
homepage of the server or gained access to a designated document on
the server, company sources said.

The activity was kicked off on Monday. By the press time, the company
has recorded 35,862 attacks by hackers from China, the United States,
the Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa and other countries,
while the server remains safe, according to Doctor Liu, a senior
manager from Hisense Digital Technology Co.

The manager said Hisense started the development of its firewall
product early last year. In June this year, the product passed the
assessment of the Ministry of Public Security.

Liu admitted that he was a little worried that the firewall might be
broken through by hackers, but insisted that the possibility for this
is small.

"Our product is designed to survive all known means of attacks by
hackers," he said.

"This is not only a marketing activity. If the firewall is broken
through, we will find new tricks to improve our products," he added.

The rapid development of Internet has produced a huge market for
network safety products. Investigations show that the size of the
market may hit 6 billion yuan in China in three years

[500,000 Yuan to U.S. Dollars = $60,387.21 on Wednesday's exchange.]

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC