Information Security News mailing list archives

Jubilant Zhirinovsky wants to hack Western computers

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:16:56 -0700

Forwarded From: "Vanna P. Rella" <vamprella () vamprella com>

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/991219/dy.html

Sunday December 19, 5:19 pm Eastern Time

Jubilant Zhirinovsky wants to hack Western computers

MOSCOW, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Russia's maverick politician Vladimir
Zhirinovsky, whose ultra-nationalist bloc looks set to do well in a
parliamentary election, said on Monday he would celebrate by hacking into
Western computers.

Zhirinovsky's bloc was running at more than eight percent in early results
compared with pre-election opinion polls which had given him some five
percent. Asked by Reuters whether he would have a drink to mark his
party's good showing, he said:

``No. No way, we Russians don't drink any more. We now work on computers,
we use computers to send viruses to the West and then we poach your
money.''

``We have the best hackers in the world. We do not need to drink or
smoke...We do not drink, smoke, have drugs and we don't have AIDS, that's
what you have got in the West.''

Russia is a heavy drinking nation which is struggling to catch up with
economically-advanced countries on the use of new technologies, such as
the Internet, but a lack of resources and poor infrastructure confines
progress to big cities.

Zhirinovsky who has run and done reasonably well in all parliamentary and
presidential elections since 1991 on a protest vote by lower stratas of
the Russian society, is one of the most eccentric politicians with an
acute political sense and bizarre sense of humour.

He has thrown juice at an opponent in a live televised debate, promised to
wash his boots in the Indian Ocean when Russia expands there and been
involved in fist-fighting in the State Duma lower chamber of parliament.

But at the same time, he has decided crucial votes in parliament in the
Kremlin's favour and has developed a well organised party with solid
assets.

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM